VAI Case - Only 2-3 PSI Oil Pressure

LeFeu

New User
Hello,
New to forum, looking for some help with an oil pressure problem on a 1952 VAI Case (124 cubic inch 4 cylinder motor).
The tractor ran good for years, then sat for an extended period of time. Ran rough when restarted, primarily a carburetor problem but checked the compression and found it low so decided to do a modified rebuild. Did the carburetor, heads and new piston rings. Did not touch the main bearings. Changed oil and filter.
After I put it all back together it started right off and ran good but only registered about 2-3 psi oil pressure so I shut it down.
Thought maybe the sump suction/screen assembly may have come loose so drained the oil, removed the oil pan and checked. Found it was in place and secure.
Checked the gauge and blew air through the sensing line - all good. Checked the bypass spring found it intact and in one piece but tension seemed a bit low so I put a small nut behind the retainer to increase the spring tension a bit although I doubt this is the problem. The new filter has residual oil in in it so it appears some oil has been circulating.
Beyond the above I have no idea what else to do or check. She’s a good old girl, I’d love to get her working again.
Any advice on where to go from here would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• C52BB34C-ED2E-4315-89B7-822F9B2BD791.jpeg
    C52BB34C-ED2E-4315-89B7-822F9B2BD791.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
Hello LeFeu, welcome to YT! You can also click the “Report” button below your opening post and request the moderators move this to the JI Case forum under the Manufacturers section. I am guessing you will be directed to check the oil system pressure regulator valve.

Hello,
New to forum, looking for some help with an oil pressure problem on a 1952 VAI Case (124 cubic inch 4 cylinder motor).
The tractor ran good for years, then sat for an extended period of time. Ran rough when restarted, primarily a carburetor problem but checked the compression and found it low so decided to do a modified rebuild. Did the carburetor, heads and new piston rings. Did not touch the main bearings. Changed oil and filter.
After I put it all back together it started right off and ran good but only registered about 2-3 psi oil pressure so I shut it down.
Thought maybe the sump suction/screen assembly may have come loose so drained the oil, removed the oil pan and checked. Found it was in place and secure.
Checked the gauge and blew air through the sensing line - all good. Checked the bypass spring found it intact and in one piece but tension seemed a bit low so I put a small nut behind the retainer to increase the spring tension a bit although I doubt this is the problem. The new filter has residual oil in in it so it appears some oil has been circulating.
Beyond the above I have no idea what else to do or check. She’s a good old girl, I’d love to get her working again.
Any advice on where to go from here would be much appreciated.
Thanks
There is a pipe the comes out of the oil filter housing and protrudes almost to the top of the inside of your oil filter. Please make sure that is still present as it is an easy thing to check and fix. If you do not have this pipe your pressure may appear low.

Attachments

• 300 Oil Filter Assembly.png
    300 Oil Filter Assembly.png
    99.3 KB · Views: 14
There is a pipe the comes out of the oil filter housing and protrudes almost to the top of the inside of your oil filter. Please make sure that is still present as it is an easy thing to check and fix. If you do not have this pipe your pressure may appear low.
Bingo! that is us usually the problem. It often stays in the filter. Assuming yours is missing, you can do a quick check of oil pressure by putting a golf tee in the hole. If that fixes the problem you can make a tube, or you can just leave the t in. I don't think those filters do much filtering.

That said, those tractors don't have much pressure at idle. Mine had 10 but that is the high side I have been told. They only came with a 30lb gauge so that tells you something. I think maybe 15 lb at high rpm

I also had a 351 that had low pressure at idle according to the gauge. I took the gauge tube loose at the block and the oil shot out about 2 ft at idle. Old timer told me I had plenty.

Gasket is regular cork gasket and in good shape. Removed the tube and checked to ensure it is clear (it was).
Thanks for the suggestions. Sure hope it ends up being something simple.

No problem. Make sure to check the pump to make sure there is no blockage and it is clear on the pump screen. Could be an issue in the pump and or the pressure gauge lines are blocked.

That said, those tractors don't have much pressure at idle. Mine had 10 but that is the high side I have been told. They only came with a 30lb gauge so that tells you something. I think maybe 15 lb at high rpm
The gauge on this tractor is 0-80 psi. Maybe I should try a gauge with a lower range. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hm. I would definitely make sure the pressure line is free and the pump doesn’t have a blockage in the oil pan. Good luck, PS, check your service manual for the best tips. Could be thick oil. Let’s of times.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Blew air through the sensing line and it’s clear. Could possibly have been blocked before I blew through it(?) no way to tell now for sure. Suction screen in the sump is clean and firmly attached.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back