Ford tractor small carburetor screw plug.

Hi, Im looking for a source for the tiny brass screw plug on the bottom of Ford tractor Marvel Shebler Carburetor. I assume they are pipe threads and are tapered. I looked on this Yesterdays tractor parts site, Carpenter catalog, Google etc. with no success. I also looked in the archives and couldnt bring up anything on this plug. Seem like months ago someone was looking for this screw plug and the board helped him with a source. After a considerable amount of searching I couldnt find that old post. Also I have found most of these old carburetors screw threads fit very loosely and leaks due to all the use over the years. Is there another solution such as drilling out and installing a new slightly bigger brass plug. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Mark

Hi, Im looking for a source for the tiny brass screw plug on the bottom of Ford tractor Marvel Shebler Carburetor. I assume they are pipe threads and are tapered. I looked on this Yesterdays tractor parts site, Carpenter catalog, Google etc. with no success. I also looked in the archives and couldnt bring up anything on this plug. Seem like months ago someone was looking for this screw plug and the board helped him with a source. After a considerable amount of searching I couldnt find that old post. Also I have found most of these old carburetors screw threads fit very loosely and leaks due to all the use over the years. Is there another solution such as drilling out and installing a new slightly bigger brass plug. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Mark
That is a common pipe plug. You ca nfind them in almost every farm and home store or auto parts store

When you say "tiny" that to me says, not the 1/4" drain plug, but the smaller, maybe 1/8" .........which are you asking about?

You should get out your MPC (Master Parts Catalog) and manuals to verify parts and their numbers, and don’t go by what suppliers show -some use their numbers and are wrong and confusing. You are looking for p/n 358043; a 1/8-NPT Plug. NPT’s have a tapered pipe thread. They are common as nails and available everywhere including this site under PARTS. Ya just gotta know all this and where to buy from. While you’re buying parts, get copies of the Essential Manuals too. Can’t be a FORD N-OWNER without them. Here’s a sample of what you find – see PIX below.

FYI: The other drain is a sintered bronze filter to drain excess fuel if it overflows the unit.

Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• MARVEL-SCHEBLER TSX-33 CARB PARTS VIEW.jpg
    MARVEL-SCHEBLER TSX-33 CARB PARTS VIEW.jpg
    824.6 KB · Views: 27
  • MARVEL-SCHEBLER TSX-33 & FORD 9N-9510 CARB PARTS LIST.jpg
    MARVEL-SCHEBLER TSX-33 & FORD 9N-9510 CARB PARTS LIST.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • MARVEL-SCHEBLER TSX-33 CARB PARTS VIEW PG 1.jpg
    MARVEL-SCHEBLER TSX-33 CARB PARTS VIEW PG 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • MARVEL-SCHEBLER TSX-33 CARB PARTS VIEW PG 2.jpg
    MARVEL-SCHEBLER TSX-33 CARB PARTS VIEW PG 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • MARVEL-SCHEBLER TSX CARB - BOTTOM VIEW.jpg
    MARVEL-SCHEBLER TSX CARB - BOTTOM VIEW.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
When you say "tiny" that to me says, not the 1/4" drain plug, but the smaller, maybe 1/8" .........which are you asking about?
That's where my mind goes. The tiny one on the edge. Maybe 6/32? There's a little shoulder and a slotted head.

Look at the kit's on eBay. Marks Carb. The tiny one is included.

Find it here: https://www.mcdonaldcarb.com/product_p/111mcd.htm

The larger plug is a 1/8-27 pipe plug (I think it's steel). I just bought 3 of them from the New Holland dealer (Messick's).
Part number 86643151 for $2.49 each.
The tiny brass plug came in my carburetor kit.

Gee Thankyou so much OLD, JMOR, M-MAN, SEAN, JIM, TIM, POMESTER, and JOHN P, Yes I am looking for the small one on the front edge of the carburetor bowl. I've been fighting these wore out little plugs for years. They are either broke off, leak, stripped or are missing on several of my carburetors. You dont know how glad I am for the huge response of all the information on size and source. You have been very helpful. Mark

More commonly called 3/16"
Sean-
It is p/n 357378-S, P;ug, Carb Lower Body. 8-32 x 15/64, slotted brass. This feature was added at some point but the original TSX 33 carbs did not have this. The '53 MPC also shows p/n 9N-9694-A, Strainer, Felt was added. Unclear when these changes were made so your M/S Carb may or may not have these. I don't think M/S ever used a 3/16" size on any carb part.

Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• FORD TRACTOR 39-54 MPC - DECEMBER 1953 PG 125.jpeg
    FORD TRACTOR 39-54 MPC - DECEMBER 1953 PG 125.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
Assuming will get you wrong every time. Best to use you MPCs to identify parts. The "pipe thread" comment threw me. IF you mean the tiny, tiny brass screw near the base end, no, it is NOT an NPT size. How could you make an NPT that small, and for what purpose?

It is p/n 357378-S, Plug, Carb Lower Body. 8-32 x 15/64, slotted brass. This feature was added at some point but the original TSX 33 carbs did not have this. The '53 MPC also shows p/n 9N-9694-A, Strainer, Felt was added. Unclear when these changes were made so your M/S Carb may or may not have these.

Some carb kits will have a new one - just have to measure Major OD with calipers or mics to determine size. You won't find a brass 8-32 set screw at your local Western Auto, TSC, or ACE Hardware. Maybe fleabay.

Can try McMaster-Carr for a brass screw - https://www.mcmaster.com/products/s...thread-size~8-32/length~1/drive-style~slotted.

or

Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• FORD TRACTOR 39-54 MPC - DECEMBER 1953 PG 125.jpeg
    FORD TRACTOR 39-54 MPC - DECEMBER 1953 PG 125.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
I believe M-MAN was saying a 6/32 (#6 screw size with 32 TPI) not a 3/16 screw (stove bolt). Pomester's link goes to an 8-32 drill plug.
Yes Jim, it is an 8-32 Slotted Brass Set Screw. I don't think Marvel-Schebler ever used a 3/16" screw on the TSX carbs. SEE my reply today to Mark or Sean - 2-19

Tim Daley (MI)

My TISCO CARB KIT C546V for the N-SERIES Models, TSX33 & TSX 241 has the new 357378, 8-32 brass set screw. FYI: Major OD on an 8-32 is .164".

Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• TISCO CARB KIT PG 4.jpg
    TISCO CARB KIT PG 4.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 11
  • TISCO CARB KIT PG 5.jpg
    TISCO CARB KIT PG 5.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 15
Tim, Thankyou for doing so much research on this for me and other Ford tractor owners. Youre so knowledgeable on this stuff and know how to source it out. Thanks for sharing your talent. Sorry for the confusion on which plug. I should have been more clear. I dont know how to post photos to show parts but I'll work on being more clear with descriptions of what Im inquiring about. When I get some new screws I will report back in case someone is in my same boat as in needing this screw.

Tim, Thankyou for doing so much research on this for me and other Ford tractor owners. Youre so knowledgeable on this stuff and know how to source it out. Thanks for sharing your talent. Sorry for the confusion on which plug. I should have been more clear. I dont know how to post photos to show parts but I'll work on being more clear with descriptions of what Im inquiring about. When I get some new screws I will report back in case someone is in my same boat as in needing this screw.
It is not hard to post a photo if you have digital photos on your computer. See the "small rectangular icon" on the top between the 2 chain links and the smiley face? That is a "photo icon" so it is supposed to represent a photo. Click that, it will take you into the "File Explorer" on your computer. Then "Browse" (which means "search for" "navigate to" "look around in folders" find the place it is at) to the folder your picture is stored. Then simply click or maybe double click the picture file. It will drop in your post. If you don't know anything about your computer's picture storage or don't have digital pictures this was all for nothing. I suppose it could help others who may see it.
For those here that don't know this is only an "EXAMPLE PICTURE" it is not a Ford carburetor! ;)
MD head gasket.JPG

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back