Stupid Is as Stupid Does.

Bruce(OR)

Well, being 1/2 a brick short and potentially facing upcoming medial problems (again) I picked up a TE-20 today with new looking rear tires. I passed on the 8N that was a bigger basket case. The TE is currently missing the battery, lower rad hose and the glass bowl on the fuel tank with a broken spoke on the steering wheel. Green water sloshed out of the engine while bringing it home. Oil is black, NOT brown, engine rotates through by hand. Or at least the slight amount while I turned the fan belt. Other that that is a mystery. I already have a Ford 2N Belly Mower project and this Fergy has become "A Tractor Too far."
I am considering letting the son have it to do with as he desires. He can then use the proceeds to his hearts desire.

~~And today while moving it off the trailer and into the yard as a one man band, That was fun, I found out the clutch is dead but the hydraulics work. I got to use the cruise control on the orange toy and walked this into the yard and near it resting spot.
Glad to live on a near empty road.
Now with a dead clutch and the value of resale, brings to question if it is worth the effort of a clutch job?
New looking tires should bring me $5/600. A running machine might get me $4/600 more. Labor is worth what?
Think I will make the engine run with a glass bowl, some gas and a battery.
Anyone looking for an engine?

You know that if you make the engine run well, then it's probably not a big deal to get the clutch sorted out. While you're at it, may as well go ahead and go through the hydraulics. Pretty soon you'll make your way through the list and start looking at paint.....

(I'm speaking from experience.)

~~And today while moving it off the trailer and into the yard as a one man band, That was fun, I found out the clutch is dead but the hydraulics work. I got to use the cruise control on the orange toy and walked this into the yard and near it resting spot.
Now with a dead clutch and the value of resale, brings to question if it is worth the effort of a clutch job?
New looking tires should bring me $5/600. A running machine might get me $4/600 more. Labor is worth what?
Bruce, if you don't mind me asking, which orange toy do you have? I'm very close to getting one myself.

Maybe just lost a pin out of the clutch linkage, or a loose spline shaft?

The thought of purchasing this mechanical disaster was a fast flip. That clutch job eats into both time and money. Is it worth it?
I suppose that depends on potentially finding a buyer for the engine. As for the range toy, I inherited a B7500 years ago when mom moved to heaven. That 600# FEL was stressed many times. I upgraded to the L2501 and while the FEL capacity went up to 1200# it was still a bit lacking. Very nice sized machine just a bit lacking on FEL capability and the 25HP was also a bit lacking.
That machine stayed around for 50 hours and at the height of the equipment shortage it got sold off and I picked up a MX5400.
The MX5400 now having a 2200# FEL and I have only once so far found it to be undersized in FEL lifting power.
HOWever, the MX5400 is right at 72/73 inches across the rear versus the 48 inches of the L2501.
While it is nice to play with 54 HP, it does have width limitations.

"Maybe just lost a pin out of the clutch linkage, or a loose spline shaft?"

Foot off of clutch and in gear, should engage the clutch. If a pin fell out of the linkage that might prevent engaging the trans while the engine is running. Loose spline shaft? Would that be the one the clutch disc is riding on? The main input shaft for the transmission?
The hydraulics raised up just fine while being towed and the PTO engaged. No problem in that end.
Paint? This machine is behind a 2N with a belly mower, Ford 801 engine basket case, Gold Demonstrator that needs the governor adjusted to run again and a few other truck projects. I have very little interest to replace the clutch and no desire to keep this toy.

Foot off of clutch and in gear, should engage the clutch. If a pin fell out of the linkage that might prevent engaging the trans while the engine is running. Loose spline shaft? Would that be the one the clutch disc is riding on? The main input shaft for the transmission?
The hydraulics raised up just fine while being towed and the PTO engaged. No problem in that end.
Paint? This machine is behind a 2N with a belly mower, Ford 801 engine basket case, Gold Demonstrator that needs the governor adjusted to run again and a few other truck projects. I have very little interest to replace the clutch and no desire to keep this toy.
Sounds like you have the "part it out" decision already made. steve

Bruce, I've seen a few where the clutch center separated from the lining. My MH 101 lost the pilot bushing, and the play in the shaft then wore the splines off the clutch shaft AND the clutch disk center. I don't envy you a split. steve

There is a small part of me that says "fix" and the other parts says to sell it off and make a fast buck.
I suspect I could make a bit more parting it but already have too much to deal with.
I might have another idea. . .
Decent weather coming up this weekend and i might at least get it moved to another area for the split.

Maybe just lost a pin out of the clutch linkage, or a loose spline shaft?
That could be it. I let a TO-35 set for years on Dad's farm because the neighbor borrowed it and it came back with a clutch problem. When both Mom and Dad were gone we gave it to his grandson. Before he took delivery I googled it and found out it could be that the shaft on the clutch pedal had slipped. Sure enough, that was it. Adjusted it and it worked like a champ. Kicking myself, though.

Bruce and Bill Penna, I'm thinking about the LX3310. I think it will do everything I need done around here. The lift capacity of the F.E.L. is rated at 769 lbs. at the end of the loader. Not a lot I guess but I've never failed to lift anything with my TO-20 with that little pump on the side. I don't know what it's rated at.

Bruce and Bill Penna, I'm thinking about the LX3310. I think it will do everything I need done around here. The lift capacity of the F.E.L. is rated at 769 lbs. at the end of the loader. Not a lot I guess but I've never failed to lift anything with my TO-20 with that little pump on the side. I don't know what it's rated at.
Yeah, go for it. I’m gonna go with the 3302. I think it’ll be fine for everything. I need around here. Good luck!

I have heard it said that you should find the machine you need and then go up a size or two.
That MX5400 monster is a bit overkill but it has come in handy a time or two. I ran that L2501 into a brush pile and it fell on it's face.
Perhaps a larger machine in that series would have worked for me but the limitation being the FEL.
I suppose if the 1200# FEL was good for me, I would have gone up to an L4701 machine. Figuring to double the HP with a decent sized machine.
The Fergy does not have a built in limiter on the FEL.

Bruce, thanks for the input.
After doing some more research I've decided to move up from the LX series. I didn't realize that it's built on the BX platform. Also didn't know that there was a built in limiter on the orange FEL.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back