Is this the "input shaft"?

Coby

New User
Is this broken gear part of the input shaft?

20240406_160658.jpg

I would assume he means lower. Any idea what the tractor was being used for when this happened?
I was just moving it around the yard, my rotary cutter was attached but PTO was not engaged. It was previously stuck in two gears. I got it unstuck and replaced the shift lever with a used one in better shape. After unstuck from gear, what I now assume is the bearing was making a whirring noise when the clutch was released. The tractor jammed up like it was stuck in gear again so I stopped and pulled off the tranny cover and this is what I saw.

It hasn't been moved since this happened. I already had plans to replace the top gearset before this as 2nd gear has a chip. I haven't drained the fluid yet to get a better look at the lower gear set since this happened.

I have already ordered the input shaft. Will be ordering gears soon. Anything else I should think about replacing while I'm in there?

Looks like I can get a transmission nearby for more or less the same price as buying the top and lower gearsets used.

Would it be easier to try to replace the whole transmission as a unit rather than just trying to replace the gears? I'm going to have to split it in thirds either way it seems. I received my F04 manual the other day, so I'm ready to tackle this job, but looking to work "smarter" and not "harder".

Last edited:
Looks like I can get a transmission nearby for more or less the same price as buying the top and lower gearsets used.

Would it be easier to try to replace the whole transmission as a unit rather than just trying to replace the gears? I'm going to have to split it in thirds either way it seems. I received my F04 manual the other day, so I'm ready to tackle this job, but looking to work "smarter" and not "harder".
Easier to swap them out so long as bearings are good

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back