JD 430 Crawler

clayman

So i am bringing back to life a JD 430?? crawler. I think thats what it is but the battery box is gone so no S/N I have everything working quite nicely but no clue as to how to measure track wear pins / bushings etc. I have read so far that a centre to centre between pin measurement can be taken across 5 pins but can anyone tell me what to compare that measurment to? My father had bought pins/bushings for it but if it aint broke dont fix it i always say.

So i am bringing back to life a JD 430?? crawler. I think thats what it is but the battery box is gone so no S/N I have everything working quite nicely but no clue as to how to measure track wear pins / bushings etc. I have read so far that a centre to centre between pin measurement can be taken across 5 pins but can anyone tell me what to compare that measurment to? My father had bought pins/bushings for it but if it aint broke dont fix it i always say.
Serial number tag for a JD 430C was on the left side of the clutch/bell housing, not on or near the battery box. Post some pictures if you are not sure what you have.

Study the undercarriage guide attached for more info on measuring undercarriage. It is an IH?Dresser document but the methods and info is basic and applies universally, at least on older crawlers. The track needs to be stretched tight before measuring, the guide explains that and how to make other measurements.

Also, I posted a picture of a chart with the internal wear dimensions and related percentage for the older JD crawlers. You will need to find rail height to go with that. I am going to guess you will find the internal wear well beyond the published 100% wear measurement.

Edited to add: You need to properly identify it before you do any measuring. Pictures of the operator's station as well as both sides of the complete machine should help.

Attachments

• undrcarguide.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 30
  • JD track wear chart.JPG
    JD track wear chart.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Serial number tag for a JD 430C was on the left side of the clutch/bell housing, not on or near the battery box. Post some pictures if you are not sure what you have.

Study the undercarriage guide attached for more info on measuring undercarriage. It is an IH?Dresser document but the methods and info is basic and applies universally, at least on older crawlers. The track needs to be stretched tight before measuring, the guide explains that and how to make other measurements.

Also, I posted a picture of a chart with the internal wear dimensions and related percentage for the older JD crawlers. You will need to find rail height to go with that. I am going to guess you will find the internal wear well beyond the published 100% wear measurement.

Edited to add: You need to properly identify it before you do any measuring. Pictures of the operator's station as well as both sides of the complete machine should help.
Ok so its definatly a 440C thanks for the info. And ya the measurment is up at 23.5 so its time for pins/bushings. cant find anyone who does that anymore in Canada. I do hacve a hoeizontal press so i guess i will make some dies and start pushing

Ok so its definatly a 440C thanks for the info. And ya the measurment is up at 23.5 so its time for pins/bushings. cant find anyone who does that anymore in Canada. I do hacve a hoeizontal press so i guess i will make some dies and start pushing
So you found a serial number tag or just an ID from pictures. The 440IC should have had the tag right ahead of the gearshift and below the dash.

Good Luck

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back