Frontier DM1160 Disc Mower (Kuhn) Help

ford4wd08

Hi All,

I have a Frontier DM1160 disc mower. I bought it used in pretty good condition last year. I believe this is equivalent to a Kuhn GMD66 mower. I know it is made by Kuhn, just not exactly sure on the model. Looks like they were sold in the early 2000's. See the link for pictures.

I ended up putting new blades on it and noticed I can hear some metal tinging/clanging noises occasionally when running. I believe it is from the new blades hitting either the cutter bar or possibly other blades. The old blades were worn pretty well and mower was quiet before new blades.

To start, I did install the correct Kuhn angled blades and put them on in the correct direction per the owner's manual. The mower has very little take up in the gears when rotating the first inner drum to the outside drum. I changed the cutter bar oil and it came out very clean with just very fine metal particles on the plug. I believe the cutter bar to be ok.

I did some investigation and noticed that the outer most disc (turtle) next to the outside drum was slightly bent downwards. You could see where the blade was barely contacting the cutter bar, so I found a good deal on some used disc and have replaced that one. It definitely took a lot of the noise away, but I occasionally can hear the noise. I believe it is coming from the inner drum and first disc area.

All the disc on this model rotate the opposite way from each other, so I don't timing could be an issue. Guess I'll keep looking at cutter bar for any dragging blades. I think my next course of action is to replace all the blade bolts, they're cheap and easy enough.

Any thoughts on anything else to look at?

Attachments

• DM1160.PNG
    DM1160.PNG
    74.1 KB · Views: 14
Timing is definitely important. This is a 2-blade mower right? When the blades of one disc are pointing side-to-side the blades on the discs on either side should be pointing front-to-back. If any of them are off or wonky you've got gearbox damage and/or someone who messed up putting it back together after some gearbox damage.

The blades should not flop up and down. If they do you need blade bolts.

Timing is definitely important. This is a 2-blade mower right? When the blades of one disc are pointing side-to-side the blades on the discs on either side should be pointing front-to-back. If any of them are off or wonky you've got gearbox damage and/or someone who messed up putting it back together after some gearbox damage.

The blades should not flop up and down. If they do you need blade bolts.

Well I should clarify that timing is important, but they all appear to be timed correctly. 90 degrees out from each other.

From what I've read the mowers that have disc that turn the same direction next to each other small timing adjustments are very crucial.

I'm curious if the blade bolts aren't seating fully into the the disc and hanging a little low on a disc or two. On my list to check. I went ahead ordered new bolts. Cheap insurance.

I'll go through it more this weekend as my parts show up. I'm replacing the metal seals under the disc as well and the washers on top of the disc. They were cheap and I think I'm missing a few of the top disc washers.

Last edited:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back