1936 BR clutch

treeman53

I can't find anything that explains how these clutches work. Looking at the parts, I can only assume that the belt pulley has to move outward, as the pressure plate moves inward. Otherwise, it seems the inner clutch facing would be doing nothing. Is this correct, or am I missing something? If it is correct, is there any adjustment to set inner disc correctly?

The pulley itself does not move but a tiny bit if at all. All of the movement is internal components. If you have a driver that is loose or beat up onto crankshaft with junk crank splines there will be no way to get the clutch to work properly. You need a solid base of secured parts before all of the moving parts inside will adjust correctly.

I have new clutch discs, and the new clutch driver is on the way. My question is that I don't understand how the inner disc is engaged, or disengaged. The driver cannot back into it, so I was assuming the pulley moves enough to cause it to engage.

There is an operating sleeve inside that the clutch fork is attached to. It moves back and forth by the clutch fork and toggles. Look at Jdparts.com for a breakdown of your clutch.

I understand the mechanism, and how the operating sleeve dogs and pressure plate, and how the outer disc engages the driver. Where I get confused, is how the inner disc engages the driver. From examining the whole assembly, the only way I see for the inner disc to have any engagement, the pulley would have to move outward.

Not to argue with anybody but you are correct. Pulley is free floating on crank when disengaged. You will see it can be moved in and out. This movement is your air clearance between the released plates and disk. Travel / movement will be limited by the fixed drive hub on end of crank. When engaged pulley is pulled up tight on the inside / back side and outside by the crushing action of outer plate that pulls off the pulley pulling the pulley against disk on back side of hub. Go look at any two cylinder tractor they all do this the same way. If you are seeing excessive movement when engaged you need to set crankshaft end play by adjusting flywheel in. Should have .005 to.010 crankshaft end play / thrust bearing clearance. DW

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back