1951 Super C throttle no response

Mel in KS

Tried installing kits for old carburetor and finally bought new carb from this site (Zenith Item #104184 (not reversible)). Old carb throttled up and back OK but couldn't stop gas leak. New carb fit fine. No more gas leaks. Starts good but no throttle response. Adjusted governor linkage per IH Service Manual and advice in achieves. Can only get minimal response from fast idle to slow idle. Governor history good. Can feel governor spring tension at clevis; push forward and rests back in position toward carb. Throttle linkage free. Springs on throttle linkage by governor look good. Throttle moves governor rod where clevis is back and forth. Tried different clevis adjustments for rod length in addition to what book says to no avail. Throttle and choke rods correct connections to carb. What am I doing wrong?

Remove pin at turn buckle on carb. to governor arm. Like khouse6 said throttle it by hand. If it revs up then the adjustment is wrong. Put throttle handle at full throttle and hold carb. at full throttle and adjust turn buckle so pin will just fit with no binding. At full throttle the pin should be loose

Seen some throttle control rods with the balence springs reversed ,small spring is forward towards radiator ,long spring on the back side of motion pin lever towards seat or steering wheel .

With the throttle at idle try reving the engine by pulling on the rod going to the carburetor. You should be able to increase the engine speed but you should feel resistance from the governor.
My thought is that something in the governor fell apart when you had the linkage apart. If you can't increase the rpms by pulling on the carburetor linkage then something is wrong with the new carburetor.
Careful to not get your fingers in the generator belt when doing this test.
Dave.

Afraid not. Gave up again. Found throttle linkage to governor binding at bracket. Fixed that. Springs on throttle linkage in correct order (small towards radiator). Throttle rod seems to move correctly. Can adjust linkage to carburetor to idle down. Can only get engine speed up to about three fourths speed. One or the other with various clevis adjustments (by the book, etc.). With clevis connected and engine running it will speed up and down by moving the rod by hand but not full speed range. With clevis disconnected it will speed up fairly well by hand with engine running but will not idle. Running rough at higher rpm's. Changed plugs. Plugs fouled. Still runs rough. I am wondering about this new carburetor. I have adjusted the screw at the throttle body rod in and out. I have adjusted the idle jet screw trying to find fastest idle with little result. It does not have a main jet screw. Really tired of it. Thanks.

Make sure the throttle shaft lever on the new carb is the same length as the throttle lever on the old one! Jim

Check this if your only getting 1500 rpm you might have a super a spring count the coils should be 13 for Farmall c

cvphoto141452.jpg

cvphoto141453.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back