1962 John Deere 3010 Gas Tractor Starting Issue

tvalente

New User
I have a 1962 John Deere 3010 Gas Tractor that will only stay running when I have the starter turning over, (which is really bad for the starter). I rebuilt the carb. Marvel Schebler model USX 21 a couple times with no success. It appeared as it was flooding, so I made sure the float wasn't hanging up, and also put in new parts after a good cleaning. Now I am suspecting it is something else. I noticed a red wire not attached, and looks as if it goes to the starter, then alternator. I attached it to the starter. I am not sure if I have a carb problem, or a short somewhere. Maybe both, please help.

This post was edited by tvalente on 12/22/2023 at 12:22 pm.

Hook a jumper wire from the hot post on the solenoid to the coil and see if it stays running then. I
don't know what that red wire is, but if it runs with the jumper wire, it's either that red wire or
the switch that's the problem.

Your tractor would have a ignition primary resistor either on the ignition switch itself, or as a separate unit. (Unless someone has replaced the coil with a ''true'' 12 Volt coil that doesn't require a resistor.)

Power flows from the ignition switch through whichever resistor you have to a primary terminal on the coil.

During cranking power flows from a terminal on the starter solenoid to the coil, bypassing the ignition primary resistor, making for a ''hotter'' spark while the starter is drawing down the battery voltage.

For some reason, the circuit from the switch, through the resistor, to the coil is ''open''/not supplying power the coil, so the coil only gets power while the starter is engaged.

Could be the switch or the resistor, or a wiring issue.

When the generator is removed and replaced with an alternator most lokiely the polarity of the tractor needs changed from + ground to a - ground
and coil also needs wires reversed

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back