3 pt. hitch backhoe safety stablizer

andy r

I bought this Long backhoe this summer and had a couple tile holes to fix. I do understand that 3 pt. backhoes can be dangerous. I assume the danger occurs when you would be pushing with the bucket and the 3 point arms and upper link could raise up pinning the operator to the tractor. This backhoe is equipped with the straps (pictured) which will not let the 3 pt. hitch/backhoe raise. My question is when you get it all hooked up do take the weight off of the 3 pt. hitch lift cylinder(s)(either interal or external) and let the straps hold it in place? If you didn't lower the weight onto the safety/stablizer straps couldn't that be hard on the internals of the 3 pt. hitch or even bend the safety/stablizer straps if someone pulled the 3 pt. hitch lever to raise position? Thanks.

cvphoto140040.jpg

Looks like someone beat you to it. The top flat bars were straight on the Long backhoe we had on the farm.

Ideally you would leave the lift pressure off the lower arms, but you do need to recognize if the top link mount on the tractor is strong enough to support everything. Trying to support the weight with the lower arms would be very difficult to get just the right position without building constant lift pressure.

I understand what you are saying ... you think they were bent into that curve? I thought the curve was factory, sure looks like an original bend. I did straighten out a sideways bend on both angled arms. I really think the curve is original. I will do some more checking. I don't think the black upper link and black angled arms are original to the Long backhoe. I believe they are aftermarket and were added for safety.

My comments in the next lower post are probably wrong. I found the Long 1199 B owners manual online and the safety/stablizer straps, etc. look pretty much like mine. Yes, there is a good chance mine are bent from the previous owner raising the 3 pt. hitch arms!!!

After looking at how badly mine are bent I think I would be better off to buy some new straight steel straps and bore new holes for the bolts. I don't think that curve would ever straighten out!!

My hoe has a solid link to the drawbar of the tractor to the upper end of the hoe. It cannot move up or down, and I keep the 3 pt. lever locked in its lowest position. I thought all such hoes would have to have this for stability.
Ben

The adjustable upper link end is the same as the one we had, so I would say its original. The angle braces are similar, hard to tell anymore from the one picture. Its possible the curved upper links are original, things change, or different kit for different tractors.

I guess the first question I should of asked is what tractor are you using to carry it?

Probably put it on the back of a John Deere 4440. Like you have said, I think they are bent. The owners manual only shows straight straps from the A frame of the hoe to the top link.

That is the hardest way to bend flat bars.
I would think that if bent whilst on the tractor, they would have twisted over when bent that much as well.
Feel the edges, are they flame cut steel or flat bar stock?

(quoted from post at 07:21:01 11/07/22)
That is the hardest way to bend flat bars.
I would think that if bent whilst on the tractor, they would have twisted over when bent that much as well.
Feel the edges, are they flame cut steel or flat bar stock?

^THIS^

Flat bar does NOT bend flat like that naturally. It needs to be held in a bending brake to keep it flat, otherwise it will twist and buckle.

With that kind of top link arrangement, once the backhoe is installed on the tractor, just LEAVE THE 3PT ALONE. It is already in the correct position to hold the backhoe properly when that top link pin slides in.

You're overthinking this.

On a tractor the size of a 4440 I wouldnt be worried about the top link carrying the weight of the backhoe. Its more of an issue with smaller tractors and Ford style top link mounts that are not solid.

The flat bar in the picture is after I had put it in a 20 ton press and straightened it out. It had rolled over some. I assume it had
rolled over while making the other bend.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back