300u block heater

Dave H (MI)

Looking at the post below about cold weather starting on a 300u. I have one on 12v that would not start in cold weather. I remember looking for a block heater for it but there was some issue...I do not recall what. No place to install it is my memory so you had to do a retro fit of some sort. Can anyone help me out with this? What is the easiest way to heat the engine on a 300u so it will start easier in the cold?

On that tractor, a tank type heater is likely easiest. they rely on thermosiphon to circulate and consist of a cylinder (like a 3 cup thermos) to heat coolant. The block has a drain plug near /behind/under the carb. this plug is used for getting cold water out of the block. a separate hose is used to return heated water to the head, usually through a waterpump plug or bypass, or? I don't know on yours, but pretty easy. Simple directions come with it. Jim
one that works.

Dave,
On my 300U I have a tank type block heater. I removed the drain plug by the carb to pick up the cold water. Then I ran a hose from the output(top) of the tank heater to the temperature gauge on the other side of the engine head. I installed a T-fitting so that the both the heater output and temperature gauge would still work. It's works good and it's been on the tractor since my dad bought it in 1966. Can send or post you a couple of pictures if you want to install one. And my 300U is still on 6 volts. Al

These work very well. But need to be in the vertical part of the hose or it will heat the radiator and accomplish nothing.
cvphoto169111.png

We have one like Fritz shows on our 574 diesel and it works ok just doesn't last very long maybe five years and it burns out or the cord will burn off. I would like to put a better one that would last longer on it but have not found a good way without some work to get the top end connected in somehow. Probably need to drill and tap a hole in somewhere.

(quoted from post at 12:55:16 12/24/23) Dave,
On my 300U I have a tank type block heater. I removed the drain plug by the carb to pick up the cold water. Then I ran a hose from the output(top) of the tank heater to the temperature gauge on the other side of the engine head. I installed a T-fitting so that the both the heater output and temperature gauge would still work. It's works good and it's been on the tractor since my dad bought it in 1966. Can send or post you a couple of pictures if you want to install one. And my 300U is still on 6 volts. Al

That is exactly how the tank heaters were installed on many, many Farmall H and M tractors. the 300, 350, 400, and 450 would be the same.

Dave,
Al, if you read this (after all this time) and you can get me some pictures of your installation I would really like to see how you did it. Anything you can do would be much appreciated! You can try shooting me an email. That used to work on here...do not know if it still does.

Looking at the post below about cold weather starting on a 300u. I have one on 12v that would not start in cold weather. I remember looking for a block heater for it but there was some issue...I do not recall what. No place to install it is my memory so you had to do a retro fit of some sort. Can anyone help me out with this? What is the easiest way to heat the engine on a 300u so it will start easier in the cold?
Dave,
You posted me a note today if I could send you a picture of the block heater installed on my 300 Utility. On Jan 13, 2016, I posted some pictures of the block heater on my 300 Utility. If you search for "AJB-830" and "Block Heater" you should be able to get it. They were still there this evening when I did a search for them. If you can't find it, I can get you a picture or two but might take a few days before I get out to my farm as it's been below zero last couple of days. Note that when they switched to the new format on this forum, I somehow lost my AJB-830 ID and it went back to my old AJB-450 user ID. Al

Dave,
You posted me a note today if I could send you a picture of the block heater installed on my 300 Utility. On Jan 13, 2016, I posted some pictures of the block heater on my 300 Utility. If you search for "AJB-830" and "Block Heater" you should be able to get it. They were still there this evening when I did a search for them. If you can't find it, I can get you a picture or two but might take a few days before I get out to my farm as it's been below zero last couple of days. Note that when they switched to the new format on this forum, I somehow lost my AJB-830 ID and it went back to my old AJB-450 user ID. Al
Or, you could just post a link to it:

https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/threads/300u-block-heater.1301437/#post-7899651

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back