310d backhoe won't stay running under load

Blake985

New User
So I recently got a 1996 310D Backhoe that's been sitting up at least a couple years. put a battery on it, started it up and drove it home. Operated it around the house for a little while. driving across the yard to pick it up it killed and took a few minutes of sitting before it started back up. Had to pump the throttle a little to get it going. parked it. next day it starts up fine and i operate it for 30 mins or so and it kills. wait about 5 mins and with some throttle pumping it starts back. operates shorter amount of time then slowly kills.
The longer you let it sit the longer it will run. I've been working on it the last few days. What I've done so far........
Replaced fuel filter
Replaced injectors (had some fuel leaks around them) one of the new ones won't stop leaking slightly around the injector nozzle hole
Replaced the Diesel
blew out the return line from the injectors to the fuel tank with air
removed the fuel transfer pump to see if it was functioning (seemed ok?)
removed the check valve on top of the injection pump (its functioning) ( i can blow air one way and not the other)
disconnected/reconnected the injection pump solenoid (its clicking)

Also, if i do a bulb check AND when it kills 2 lights stay on..... the Low oil pressure light and low voltage from alternator light. Is this normal?

Yes those light should go out when running. They will appear after it dies normal.
Fuel line from transfer pump to tank clear. How clean was the tank when it was drained. Can you pull the shutoff solenoid off the pump and see how it operates with the switch? Sometimes you can pull that whole thing off and test the tractor for awhile and then shut it down with a punch after you are satisfied that was the fix.

Injection pump MIGHT need repair. Have a screwdriver ready and next time engine slows to die QUICKLY loosen the two screw timing cover on the pump side, if engine runs OK WITH the fuel leak, but dies with the screws/cover tight it's confirmed, injection pump needs repair. When the retainer ring inside breaks into small coffee ground like bits they will plug the return system. DO NOT knock out the return fitting ball check and keep running engine, or after a while the weight retainer pins WILL shear off, head/rotor WILL seize and drive shaft WILL break.

Thanks for the replies. I pulled that hose between the tank and the transfer pump. Went and got one made at the local hydraulic shop. Swapped it out and it seems to have fixed the problem. I operated it for about 30 mins earlier and had no problems.
Any tips on getting the injector to stop leaking?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back