3600 Ford tractor over heating

I will check the top of radiator for temperature and see what its running. The gauge may be off some but when its in the red it starts smoking, its hot. Up until then the tractor runs real smooth.
Never thought to ask this, when you say it’s “hot” is the radiator/cooling system boiling? If not the engine is not that hot. In respect to Sox, when I was typing I had thought about the IR gun but it never made it into words.

I will check the top of radiator for temperature and see what its running. The gauge may be off some but when its in the red it starts smoking, its hot. Up until then the tractor runs real smooth.
A tractor overheating will push water out of the radiator and cause steam. A oil leak on the side of the engine will smoke when the tractor is up to temp. The use of a temp gun to assess actual temps is critical. Hoses can be internally faulty causing a flap of lining to fold inward stopping (or limiting flow like a heart valve. The block should never get above 200 degrees except near the exhaust manifold. Jim

A tractor overheating will push water out of the radiator and cause steam. A oil leak on the side of the engine will smoke when the tractor is up to temp. The use of a temp gun to assess actual temps is critical. Hoses can be internally faulty causing a flap of lining to fold inward stopping (or limiting flow like a heart valve. The block should never get above 200 degrees except near the exhaust manifold. Jim
The hoses are one thing I haven't replaced. I never thought they could be bad internally but it makes sense. I never saw steam only smoke when the temperature got over 200. I'll change the hoses and check with a heat gun. I have several things to try, good thing I'm an old retired guy. Thanks for the ideas.

The hoses are one thing I haven't replaced. I never thought they could be bad internally but it makes sense. I never saw steam only smoke when the temperature got over 200. I'll change the hoses and check with a heat gun. I have several things to try, good thing I'm an old retired guy. Thanks for the ideas.
I have seen the bottom hose collaspe or "suck closed" when the rpm is raised above an idle. You have to insert a anti collapse spring or replace the "soft" worn out hose. Shooting the radiator will tell you a lot... if the radiator IS... giving you 20 degrees of cooling between top and bottom, and it still is overheating, you need to look at the engine.... If it is not... you have either a blockage or lack of flow, or a stopped up radiator.. or fins.... you must of course have a fan moving air through the radiator. Even spraying a water hose on the radiator should give you 30 to 40 degrees of cooling on the water going back into the engine.

I have seen the bottom hose collaspe or "suck closed" when the rpm is raised above an idle. You have to insert a anti collapse spring or replace the "soft" worn out hose. Shooting the radiator will tell you a lot... if the radiator IS... giving you 20 degrees of cooling between top and bottom, and it still is overheating, you need to look at the engine.... If it is not... you have either a blockage or lack of flow, or a stopped up radiator.. or fins.... you must of course have a fan moving air through the radiator. Even spraying a water hose on the radiator should give you 30 to 40 degrees of cooling on the water going back into the engine.
Thank you, I have new hoses on the way and several other things to try. I hope one of them work.

Was the holes in the new gasket like the old gasket and non blocked by a multi use gasket that needs some hole opened to work or not open to work?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back