51 8N pinion gear

t.henrie

I have a damaged pinion gear on my 51 8N. The ring gear is in good shape, though. I ordered a used pinion gear and it s on the way. However, I just read in the shop manual that the pinion and ring gear are made as a pair and both must be changed out as a pair. Will I have trouble just changing out the pinion gear? I m thinking that for low speed operation on this tractor I should be fine. Am I wrong?

Just like you never replace a bearing w/o replacing the race, you never replace a pinion w/o replacing the ring gear, or vice-versa.

That's the theory.

In the real world, unless you're using that tractor 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, a mis-matched ring and pinion will out live you.
75 Tips

I might get corrected here, but I don't think they are made as a pair, but are broken in or worn in as a pair. I agree with you, it's a low speed deal, I think they will get along good enough to last many years.

(quoted from post at 12:52:43 07/19/23) I have a damaged pinion gear on my 51 8N. The ring gear is in good shape, though. I ordered a used pinion gear and it s on the way. However, I just read in the shop manual that the pinion and ring gear are made as a pair and both must be changed out as a pair. Will I have trouble just changing out the pinion gear? I m thinking that for low speed operation on this tractor I should be fine. Am I wrong?

I had to replace ring gear, pinion and spider gears in my 2n about 20 years ago, Nothing matched had to get from several sources, bearings and spider gears were new, ring and pinion used from 2 different sources, no problems. so far.
trouttman.

Just make sure you have some backlash in the set up, other than that there is not one damm thing you can do to adjusting the set up. To check for backlash check it in four different places.

Just make sure it does not bound/bind up in any of those four places.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back