6volt coil in 12 volt system?

I converted my 1949 8N several years ago to 12 volts and used the 12 volt coil that came with the "kit". She has been an easy starter and ran flawlessly. She started last week as usual and then quit after a few minutes warm-up and refused to restart. With a test light I have power to the coil and the light stays continuous when I crank it.. Today I removed the coil and distributor only find what appears to be normal functioning points. I do have a new set coming, but I don't think that is the problem. I checked the coil with an ohmmeter and with the test light and it appears to be an open circuit with a zero reading. When I check my old 6 volt coil I get a reading of about 3 ohms. Am I right in thinking the 12 volt coil is bad? Also......can I use my 6 volt coil? When I converted it, I kept the OEM resistor in the circuit and did not add the resistor that came with the "kit". I do have a resistor that came with the "kit" that I could use if needed with the 6 volt coil. Thanks to everyone for replying.

Are both of these coils front or square coils?

If you hold the leads of the ohmmeter firmly together, what reading do you get?

If those are square coils, they have two circuits, primary and secondary. Primary is post to pig tail, secondary 7-8k ohms. You should see 2 to 2.5 ohms ( or less) on the
primary for a 6v coil, and 3 to 3.5 for a 12v coil. Readings should be 7-8k for both on the secondary. What do you get?

Al this being said......these tests will only tell you if the coil is bad, not if it's good. And coil failures on a cold start are rare. So I'd suspect a problem in the
distributor. The most common reasons for no spark or a weak spark on the front distributor are below. Check each one carefully. Even if you find a problem, check all 10:

1. The insulator under the brass concave head screw & where the copper strip attaches. (it's fiber & will wear out; poke & prod w/ your meter leads to make sure it still
works) If you need to replace the insulator, you have two alternatives. Cut up an old set of points to replace the metal strip and go to the hardware store for a .250 x 3/8
square nylon anchor nut to replace the insulator. Or the wiser alternative: buy the strip, insulator and brass screw from Tim Ponn at nnalert Tractor for $12. ( 440-437-
5572 phone orders only)

2. The pigtail at the bottom of the coil not making contact w/ the concave head brass screw inside the distributor. (With the coil on, the pigtail must firmly contact the
brass screw. No contact = no spark) Check for continuity between the top of the coil and the pig tail; a 6 volt coil will be around 1-2 ohms & a 12 volt coil should be 2 to 3
ohms.

3. The copper strip is broken or grounded to the plate. (look very carefully for cracks & breaks) .

4. The distributor is not grounded to the block because of paint or grease acting as an insulator. Or the points plate is covered in oil.

5. The tab on the bottom of the coil not making contact w/ the brass button on the cap. (With the cap on, the tab must firmly contact the brass button. No contact = no spark.)
Check for continuity between the top of the coil and the tab; you should see about 7-8k ohms.

6. A grounding issue inside the distributor: Incorrect positioning of the spring clip on the plate causing the pigtail to ground. (the open part of the clip goes between 7 & 9
o'clock on the plate. That puts the straight part of the clip opposite of the timing screw at 3 o'clock) or the condenser wire is grounding to the plate or side of the
distributor.

7. Incorrect seating of the coil on the distributor due to a loose bail or no gasket.(the coil must not move at all; if it does, replace the gasket or bail. Or stick some
cardboard under the bail).

8. Water/moisture inside the cap due to gasket failure or the absence of a gasket. (the cap AND coil have gaskets)

9. Dirty/corroded/burned/incorrectly gapped or misaligned points. I use only Wells, Blue Streak or Echlin brand points (* *see below). If you are using quality points and
cannot get the gap to open to .015, chances are you need to replace the bushings. If the shaft has any sideways movement AT ALL, the bushings must be replaced. If the tractor
has been sitting unused for a few months, its highly likely that the points are glazed. Dress them with brown paper or card stock. Do NOT use a file or sandpaper. That
removes the thin metallic coating on the surface and reduces point life considerably. With the points closed, you should have continuity between them; high resistance means
they are glazed.

10. Burned rotor, cracked/carbon tracked cap. Brass dust in the cap is a sure sign of bushing wear.
75 Tips

(quoted from post at 22:30:51 11/04/23) I converted my 1949 8N several years ago to 12 volts and used the 12 volt coil that came with the "kit". She has been an easy starter and ran flawlessly. She started last week as usual and then quit after a few minutes warm-up and refused to restart. With a test light I have power to the coil and the light stays continuous when I crank it.. Today I removed the coil and distributor only find what appears to be normal functioning points. I do have a new set coming, but I don't think that is the problem. I checked the coil with an ohmmeter and with the test light and it appears to be an open circuit with a zero reading. When I check my old 6 volt coil I get a reading of about 3 ohms. Am I right in thinking the 12 volt coil is bad? Also......can I use my 6 volt coil? When I converted it, I kept the OEM resistor in the circuit and did not add the resistor that came with the "kit". I do have a resistor that came with the "kit" that I could use if needed with the 6 volt coil. Thanks to everyone for replying.

don't hesitate to try the 6 volt coil. i ran a 6 volt coil with a 12 volt system and no extra resistor for 8 years+.

Today I filed and reset the points along with installing the 6 volt coil. She started immediately, but felt a little rough. After 3 to five minutes of running she died and would not restart. I pulled the coil and it still has resistance.......I was worried that I had ruined it with the problem. I rule out the points and coil. CAN IT BE A BAD CONDENSER. I have to wait until tomorrow when the post lady delivers the new points and condenser. Your ideas please....Thank you!

Yes, I disconnected everything from the tank outlet downstream and I had fuel flow. I too have been wondering if it adequate but............when the problem rose it's ugly head, I wasn't getting spark through the spark plug. I keep telling myself, fuel, fire, and air. How much simpler could it be?..........Lots!

Wanted to add a summary: Use two resistors (12v) instead of one (6v). I used 2x ceramic 8NE10306's instead of the A8NN12250B, as you can use the two holes the single A8 takes up to mount 2x 8N's. Also, one of the 8NE10306's was defective, when adding 1x to make the coil compatible with 12v. Try not to order the cheapest one! Even from the same vendor!

See

Today I filed and reset the points along with installing the 6 volt coil. She started immediately, but felt a little rough. After 3 to five minutes of running she died and would not restart. I pulled the coil and it still has resistance.......I was worried that I had ruined it with the problem. I rule out the points and coil. CAN IT BE A BAD CONDENSER. I have to wait until tomorrow when the post lady delivers the new points and condenser. Your ideas please....Thank you!
From my experience, i Bought a condeser and a coil, both were bad out of the box. You can check resistance on a new coil but it doesn't tell you if it's bad. Lesson learned myself. You can't test a condenser alone. Maybe a bench test will tell you if condeser is bad or good. My only recommendation is to pay the couple extra dollars for quality parts. Lesson learned!

Yes, it can be a bad condenser. When your kit arrives, install the condenser first. You have already proven the existing points work.

Chris From CLE

The last three tune-up kits I installed in 8N tractors, the condensers failed to work right. They would start up, but quit in about five minutes, then, wouldn't start back up. I put the old condensers back in, and fixed the problem. My neighbor tuned his 8N and had the same problem. The "LAND OF ALMOST RIGHT", can't seem to get them right, and the points aren't much better, and I've had to bend them with needle nose pliers to get them to adjust right. BTW, all those aluminum carburetors are junk, too.

Yes, I disconnected everything from the tank outlet downstream and I had fuel flow. I too have been wondering if it adequate but............when the problem rose it's ugly head, I wasn't getting spark through the spark plug. I keep telling myself, fuel, fire, and air. How much simpler could it be?..........Lots!
To the point of checking if it is flowing out of the carb drain? It may have a fine screen on the fitting where the fuel line connects to the carb. If that is plugged fuel can’t get in the carb. Part 16 in the link.
CNHI Ford N parts catalog
Edit:
Dang “username..” newb suckered me into replying to an older post. Welcome to YT any how! At least I hopefully add some good content.

Last edited:
I converted my 1949 8N several years ago to 12 volts and used the 12 volt coil that came with the "kit". She has been an easy starter and ran flawlessly. She started last week as usual and then quit after a few minutes warm-up and refused to restart. With a test light I have power to the coil and the light stays continuous when I crank it.. Today I removed the coil and distributor only find what appears to be normal functioning points. I do have a new set coming, but I don't think that is the problem. I checked the coil with an ohmmeter and with the test light and it appears to be an open circuit with a zero reading. When I check my old 6 volt coil I get a reading of about 3 ohms. Am I right in thinking the 12 volt coil is bad? Also......can I use my 6 volt coil? When I converted it, I kept the OEM resistor in the circuit and did not add the resistor that came with the "kit". I do have a resistor that came with the "kit" that I could use if needed with the 6 volt coil. Thanks to everyone for replying.
Year means nothing - front or side mount is important. OEM Front Mount Distributor only uses the OEM Ballast Resistor on both 6V and 12V setups. External 1.5 OHM In-Line Resistor required in the coil circuit ONLY if using the 6V Coil on with a 12V conversion. Period. The 12V conversion requires removal of the GENERATOR and VOLTAGE REGULTOR. Period. Replace with the 1-Wire DELCO10-SI Alternator, highly recommend. Use a belt tensioner.

Attachments

• xQ2ojiT.jpg
    xQ2ojiT.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • j9hHgXJ.jpg
    j9hHgXJ.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 5ETHAyo.jpg
    5ETHAyo.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 14

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back