73' MF 150 lower steering arm

Nuckinfuts

New User
Hi all new to forum. Working on replacement of tie rods on MF 150. The lower arm that reaches over axle is my hold up. The ball joint that threads into the lower arm will not budge. Started with spanner wrench and breaker bar. Added heat with torch soon after with no progress. Then came the BMF hammer. Nothing has worked. After brewing about it for a day I heated the lower arm where ball joint threads. Hooked a pipe wrench on it with a winch cable at the end. Moved the tractor forward but ball joint still will not budge!

Any ideas? Trying to find a replacement and just drop it from the steering shaft. But sourcing seems to be a big problem for this part.

[/img:818a8a5a25]

Indeed the exact ball joint I'm trying to remove. Threads into what I call a pitman arm and repair manual calls (lower) control arm. The pitman arm then attaches to splined steering shaft. Have all new tie rods and ball joints on order. Figured I would try and get ahead and disassemble while waiting on delivery. Debating cutting the pitman arm right above where new ball joint would bottom out. And welding stacked nuts that thread to new ball joint back on. Haven't thought about that option much until it's my very last. Not sure that old pitman arm would be a weldable steel. Has splines machined into it for steering shaft, so . Found the whole tie rod and arm assembly on ebay for sale. Ball joint still attached to pitman arm. So probably same situation as mine.

Link to show pitman arm
https://www.ebay.com/itm/225427376868

This post was edited by Nuckinfuts on 07/19/2023 at 09:47 pm.

What are you using for a torch? A big tip (rosebud if available) on an oxy-acetylene torch or a handheld propane type torch? A lot of quick heat is needed. You need enough heat to get the outer sleeve red hot before having a lot of heat going into the threaded stud of the tie rod end. Get it hot, back it up on or with something heavy and pound around it on the outside to break the rust up between the outer sleeve and the tie rod end.

The battle is over!
Was finally able to remove the stubborn ball joint. In total it took 7 heat cycles of heating to a dim red and dousing with water. Inspecting the part after removal I noticed that there was indeed a cotter pin through the lower arm and ball joint. Never thought there would be one through the threads of the ball joint since there's no castle nut. But because of rust and position I was unable to notice this. Drilling that thing out would have definitely made this job a lot easier. Thank you to those who responded and hopefully this thread can possibly help someone in the future.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back