806D head studs

I am having a difficult time removing the exhaust manifold studs from the head so I can take it to the machine shop for new valves seats. Is it ok the heat the head to get the studs out or is that a bad idea? I do not want to break them off either. Any other suggestions? I have been using PB Blaster for 2 days and so far it has not helped.

You might try a product called Freeze Off by CCR. I first used it on a Genius plow clutch that was completely froze up and after letting it soak for a little while, each piece one at a time came apart without any heat or anything. I am a firm believer in this product and have used it a bunch over the past years to free studs, bolts in bushings, etc.

just leave them alone, unless u have extra money in you jeans. if they cant do the valve job with studs in the head something is wrong them. did they tell u to remove them?

Poor shop to need them out for valve work. Unless it has one already broke or they are corroded/rusted so bad they would not hold for another round on the manifold.

If you're going to heat anything, heat the stud, let it cool back down to no longer glowing, then try to remove.

If one is broke off, weld a nut to the stub, let it cool, and turn it out.

The premise of this is the bolt expands and "stretches" the cast around it slightly, breaking the rust bond...

As other have said heat the stud and remove. If you snap one off - have the machine shop take it out - usually very cheap without wasting your time or accidently ruining a hole. I am assuming you are putting new studs in - use a fair amount of anti seize when you do.

In all honesty I made an assumption based on my experience from ten years ago. This is not the same machine shop so I will ask before I go any further. THANKS FOR ALL OF THE REPLYS.

In cases where I have needed to remove tight manifold studs from cylinder heads or head studs from a block I have used a roller type stud remover and freeze spray. You can freeze the stud to about -40 degrees and then just unscrew it. No risk of damaging the head or block with heat this way. Picture of stud remover attached.
SadFarmall
mvphoto111857.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back