8N with Sherman hi low

DaveH (NY)

New User
Guys I posted about a week ago that I bought an 8N with a Sherman high low transmission and the Sherman was stuck in High range. I got it out of high range and I can shift it between standard gears and hi only now, the range selector will only move to the hi and then neutral where I can slide the selector to go into normal range. Any ideas are appreciated

Guys I posted about a week ago that I bought an 8N with a Sherman high low transmission and the Sherman was stuck in High range. I got it out of high range and I can shift it between standard gears and hi only now, the range selector will only move to the hi and then neutral where I can slide the selector to go into normal range. Any ideas are appreciated
I'm thinking you're not going to do much analysis or repair from the outside.
You'll probably need to do a split, pull the Sherman and go from there.

I'm thinking you're not going to do much analysis or repair from the outside.
You'll probably need to do a split, pull the Sherman and go from there.
Hey Ultra, been a long time! Thats what I was thinking also but was hoping someone had a work around so I could figure out before splitting it.

Another thought is that Sherman did make a step-up only transmission as well as the combo?
This is definitely the combo with the dog leg shifter and it slides in and out to select the range, I have only had two other tractors with Sherman’s and both weee high low and operated like this. Do the high range only units also allow the shifter to slide out to go back to normal?

IMG_9317.jpeg

Don't have one to look at now, but as I recall, the high range only does not have the in/out shifter need, just rotation.

Don't have one to look at now, but as I recall, the high range only does not have the in/out shifter need, just rotation.
That’s how I remembered it as well. But I have an update! I got it shifting through all the ranges now. Previous owner said it never worked, I think he didn’t know how to shift it. Was most likely dry from sitting, I ran it around and just kept playing with it and all of a sudden it popped into low range and now it’s all working

That’s how I remembered it as well. But I have an update! I got it shifting through all the ranges now. Previous owner said it never worked, I think he didn’t know how to shift it. Was most likely dry from sitting, I ran it around and just kept playing with it and all of a sudden it popped into low range and now it’s all working
Good deal, glad it worked itself out. Remember to come to a full stop when shifting the Sherman, don't want to damage the dentals on the sliding collars.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back