A/C B power unit.

Wheat47

I've mentioned this problem here before. I will also re-post it in the A/C board.
I've got a A/C model B power unit that was used to repower an early 1281 NH self-propelled baler.
When it gets above 170 deg. radiator temp, it quits. I started baling this afternoon, and it did its thing again, quit.
Which I expected. I checked for fuel flow. Good. However, I touched the carburetor, and it was extremely hot.
I almost blistered my fingers. Upon close examination, I believe the intake/exhaust manifold has an internal thermostatic
device to provide warm air until it warms, then is supposed to allow normal air. (I think.)
I'm wondering if the thermostatic thing is stuck in heat all the time position and causing the carb to boil out the gasoline.
There is a plate, about 2 x 4 on the manifold, held on with two screws. They are well rusted as they get all the heat
from the exhaust. I assume the thermostatic thing is in there, also well rusted. But I don't want to take it off, as I'm sure
the screws will twist off, and then what???
Anyone know anything about this set-up?
Or am I looking for a new/different manifold (most likely!!)??
And of course, I have hay down. It is now 6PM here. In an hour or so, I'm go fire it up and bale as
long as I can, even after dark!!

I was wondering.
I see a pic on E-Bay of one with the plate missing.
Not really anything in there.
Thanks for the information!!!

To get the hay baled you can try to wrap the carburetor with tin foil or a wet rag or anything to get rid of the heat.

Might be vapor lock especially with ethanol tainted gas.Run the fuel line out away from the motor and taking the hood off will help too so the heat from the motor isn't trapped and heat up the gas tank

Just got in shortly after 10PM. Got the biggest and best share done. Got the best done, so a guy can hopefully pick up
40 or so bales tomorrow or the next day.
Engine ran pretty good. Didn't want to pull very good, so I had to go pretty slow.
Got a couple one-acre patches left. But it got dark, and those two patches involve a fair amount
of turning on top of myself. I'll get them tomorrow evening.
Probably got 8-10 acres left to cut. Probably cut 1/2 or so of it tomorrow.
But then maybe I'll wait. Possibility of some showers in the future.
Anyway, things are looking up!!!
Thanks for the suggestions. I may try the wet rag thing.
I can't take the hood off.....part of the radiator shroud and gas tank mounts.
Thanks to all again!!!
jon
i may take the carb apart and check the float level too.

ARE you sure you dont have a Distillate manifold it does have a baffle to increase the heat to warm the kerosene type fuel. I would change the manifold as yours is probly stuck and beyonde repair just remove it and get a new gas manifold they runaround 125.00

I think you're right. As I understand it, there isn't much behind the plate.
I called a friend, and he may have a regular manifold.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back