Allis Chalmers 621 Rough terrain forklift opinions

Hello, I am looking at an 1969 Allis Chalmers model 621 rough terrain forklift. Lifts to 21 feet.

Seller is asking $8,000. Went and looked at it. They have calcium in the front tires, one front rim for sure is shot. Will need new tires and rims. Priced those out through Pomps, about $2400 for new tires and wheels on front. (16.9-24)

Owner said he had to let it run for 30 minutes in 30 degree F temps before the machine would want to move. Once warmed up, it seemed to operate and drive fine. Is this normal?

I liked the forward/reverse system with the handle operation and foot control.

This forklift has a 4cyl gas engine in it.

1. Should I be worried about finding parts for a machine this old? Was there a farm tractor model this was similar to?

2. How about the main hydraulic pump parts and control valves for the mast? Can you even get these parts anymore if main hydraulic pump is weak?

3. How are the transmissions on these?

4. Years made?

5. Average price of a 621 in operable condition?

Thanks for any advice you can give in advance!

Hello, I am looking at an 1969 Allis Chalmers model 621 rough terrain forklift. Lifts to 21 feet.

Seller is asking $8,000. Went and looked at it. They have calcium in the front tires, one front rim for sure is shot. Will need new tires and rims. Priced those out through Pomps, about $2400 for new tires and wheels on front. (16.9-24)

Owner said he had to let it run for 30 minutes in 30 degree F temps before the machine would want to move. Once warmed up, it seemed to operate and drive fine. Is this normal?

I liked the forward/reverse system with the handle operation and foot control.

This forklift has a 4cyl gas engine in it.

1. Should I be worried about finding parts for a machine this old? Was there a farm tractor model this was similar to?

2. How about the main hydraulic pump parts and control valves for the mast? Can you even get these parts anymore if main hydraulic pump is weak?

3. How are the transmissions on these?

4. Years made?

5. Average price of a 621 in operable condition?

Thanks for any advice you can give in advance!
I had a 72 816. Not sure how similar they are, it was a Perkins diesel and quite a bit larger, but it did have the shuttle, was from the same time period lineage and did the same thing. It turned out that the ATF was low in it, had water mixed in and very old. I drained it out, flushed and refilled it and it stopped doing that. There were blockages in the system, because after I did that, the cooler radiator plugged up and the symptoms returned, it had to be removed and cleaned out. After cleaning it all up and filling it yet again, the shuttle worked great from then on and didn't require a half hour warmup. Never have even seen a 621 so I'm not sure if this is applicable.

I think you're looking at a D-15 series 2 farm tractor, normally a pretty good rig. The warm up time bothers me on the drive. Is it FULL of hydraulic oil ??

I think you're looking at a D-15 series 2 farm tractor, normally a pretty good rig. The warm up time bothers me on the drive. Is it FULL of hydraulic oil ??
I am not sure if the hydraulic oil was full. They did say this forklift has been used very little in last 5 years. Suppose it could be low on oil or have condensation in system from sitting.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back