Banged up flare face

A while back the power steering pressure line cracked at the flare, in the port right behind the steering tower. I out a new line on and it worked fine and dry for about 3 months. yesterday it started to ooze and dribble from the same fitting. It was tight, nothing happened to it... so go figure.

I took it off and stuck my phone back in there to see whats going on and I se the flare face is badly worn and banged up. I will assume that in hot weather the seal was good and when it went down into the 20s it all shrank and shifted enough to leak? I dunno.

Is there any way to repair or seal this? the flare cone is in the steering tower itself, so replacing it means replacing the whole steering tower... I assume.

I need to seal this fitting good enough to move the tractor around now and then, I dont care if it weeps a little but not dribbling and oozing like a gunshot wound.

The tractor is 63 ford 4000 industrial.

Any help yall can offer I appreciate. Thanks

mvphoto111977.jpg

Those might work if they fit right on the thing...

Dumb question de jour... if the line is 3/8 nickle copper tube, then the size I want is... 3/8 correct?

I assume they are sizing it by the tube size of the flare but It never hurts to double check.

Especially if you're me. lol

They have a chart on the site... missed it.

It'll take 3/8 -06 size.

I have an idea how to maybe fix it good enough for free here I just thought up... if that dont work I'll order a pack of these. Thanks for the tip.

Update on this problem... I looked into the flaretite things, they would have worked BUT they are 1) thin and 2) made to go over a male flare, they dont fit the recessed female flare cone right.

So I got a box of these

https://www.grainger.com/product/PARKER-Flare-Gasket-For-3-8-in-Tube-5WRW3

These are thicker, made of a lead copper alloy (as far as I can tell, grainger wouldnt sell them to me unless I stated I was not going to use them for potable water due to lead content) and fit down in that fitting good.

The first one I put in I cranked down a bit too tight and cracked the flare on the copper nickle line. One of those times you know in your head its a bad idea to snug it one more time and... yeah listen to the voices in your head.

Anywhoo, I made a new line and took the old washer out, and they crush down to match the banged up face of the flare real good.

So I stuck a new one in, put the new line on and gently snugged it down. No leaks drips or dribbles. Worked like a charm.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back