Brake Booster Replacement

Michael Soldan

The brake Booster on my 1997 F150 literaly came apart and needs to be replaced. I had no brakes whatsoever so I had it towed to the Ford Dealer. From what I have seen on Youtube this should be less than an Hours labour to replace. Have any of you had experience with brake booster replacement and how much labour did you pay ?

If you had no brakes at all the master cylinder is bad also. No idea about the time but I wouldn't count on YouTube for an estimate. There's a lot that can go wrong after the booster is done.

I replaced one on my 76 Silverado. Not really much of a job. There was enough brake line flex to just unbolt the master cylinder and pull it ahead. The booster was held on with four bolts. I added the booster to my 70 Chevrolet 1/2 ton. Just unbolted the master cylinder pulled it ahead and slipped in a booster from a donor truck. Its sure improved braking on the 70 which came with non-power disk brakes.

Just did a 95 F250 I billed out 1-1/2hr. for booster and master cylinder replacement. It was not the only repair on the order and had a complaint of hissing. It was failed by a State inspection for the hissing when the brakes were applied.

By the time I got around to looking at the hissing issue it was a no brainer. It would not surprise me if it also needed a master cylinder.

That clip that holds the boosted rod to the brake pedal went M.I.A. : ( I brought a pack of 5 so I am armed for the next one. I could have billed more time and they would have paid it and been happy.

I've owned 7 ford pickups in my life and replaced that on 5 of them. Its just a few nuts and bolts. Replace the master cylinder at the same time. Bench bleed the master cylinder before installing it.

The brake Booster on my 1997 F150 literaly came apart and needs to be replaced. I had no brakes whatsoever so I had it towed to the Ford Dealer. From what I have seen on Youtube this should be less than an Hours labour to replace. Have any of you had experience with brake booster replacement and how much labour did you pay ?
You might want to get a loaded booster, which is one with a master cylinder. The toughest part is the stop light switch clip if that model has one.

I have replaced my booster on an 1981 F150 at least 3 times. Most often I could hear the hissing sound when it failed. If the .master cylinder is needed which will require bleeding air out of the system, a little more time will be required. I would guess my older truck is probably easier to repair though than a newer one.

If you had no brakes at all the master cylinder is bad also. No idea about the time but I wouldn't count on YouTube for an estimate. There's a lot that can go wrong after the booster is done.
If the booster came apart, it would lose contact with the linkage that operates the master cylinder. That does NOT mean that the master cylinder is bad. It only means that the linkage could not operate it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back