Case 530 pressure plate adjustments

Our Phone System is Down!

Please use the Contact us Form

We are working to resolve the issue ASAP! Thanks for your patience!

Randy Liable

New User
I have a question.
I am putting a new pressure plate and disc into a 530 Case gas tractor.
On the pressure plate you can adjust the fingers ? Does anyone know what that measurement is also would the measurements be say from the table to the edge of the finger ?
I was going to do that ball park adjustment before I install the pressure plate .
Thanks

I have a question.
I am putting a new pressure plate and disc into a 530 Case gas tractor.
On the pressure plate you can adjust the fingers ? Does anyone know what that measurement is also would the measurements be say from the table to the edge of the finger ?
I was going to do that ball park adjustment before I install the pressure plate .
Thanks
A quality re-man pressure plate SHOULD come with the finger height pre-set.

The pressure plate is bolted to a jig that takes into account the expected thickness of the lined disc and the finger height is then set to "spec" and often a drop of "paint" is then put on the adjustment mechanism to show if it gets tampered with.

Mucking with the finger height BEFORE you install the parts on the flywheel accomplishes NOTHING.

HOPEFULLY someone posts a "spec" and method of measurement for the finger height once installed so you can VERIFY the finger settings.

If they are "off" it may mean that the thickness of the aftermarket lined plate is more or less than the OEM dimensions that the rebuilder went by.

When checking, even MORE important than the exact finger height is that all fingers are set the same.

This is the problem ....all the fingers are not the same height...this is a ordered re maned clutch / pressure plate.
I assumed the same as you but they are a 1/4 inch out from one another.
Is the measurement from the flat table up or from the top of the spline surface you to finger.

This is the problem ....all the fingers are not the same height...this is a ordered re maned clutch / pressure plate.
Is the measurement from the flat table up or from the top of the spline surface you to finger.
Are you saying the plates are installed on the flywheel and the fingers are not the same height?

Generally, the pressure plate needs to be bolted to the flywheel, with a new disc installed to make any measurements and adjustments to the fingers. Set up is done with a new disc even if final assembly is with a used disc. Different units may use different locations to make the measurements from and different measurements. The 530CK service manual should have the information on doing it. Perhaps someone will be along with a copy of that info for you. If you are keeping the tractor the manual would be a worthwhile investment.

Many pressure plates come with 3 capscrews holding them partially compressed for easier installation and are removed after the pressure plate is fully mounted. Are those capscrews still in your pressure plate, they can throw the fingers off.

Yes it is a metal clip that comes out so you can adjust the fingers.
I don't have a service manual and I was told you set them ball park on the bench because they were not even right from John Deere ...I spoke to them about that .I bought the clutch through A and R which John Deere owns.

I also have a loader frame on the tractor that makes it difficult to get into the inspection plate area.I have the plate off but just about impossible to work behind it .
All the more reason to adjust it as close as possible before installation

Yes it is a metal clip that comes out so you can adjust the fingers.
I don't have a service manual and I was told you set them ball park on the bench because they were not even right from John Deere ...I spoke to them about that .I bought the clutch through A and R which John Deere owns.
If your reply was to me, I was not talking about the clips on the finger adjusting bolts, I was talking about capscrews that hold some of the spring pressure off during assembly of the clutch on the flywheel, some have those some don't. Some pressure plates that have those, will have a tag under at least one of the capscrews saying they need to be removed after installation on the flywheel.

John Deere owns A&I, not A and R.

When one rebuilds some JD pressure plates there are some bench adjustments on the bench. Then the process is to pull the flywheel and assemble the clutch and pressure plate, in the flywheel, on the bench and adjust the pressure plate fingers before putting the flywheel back on the crank and assembling the clutch. That may not be the process for your Case and if John Deere techs without experience with tractors like yours, the advice might not be quite right or incomplete.

As wore out asked: "Are you saying the plates are installed on the flywheel and the fingers are not the same height?"

Or is it just setting on a bench/table and you are looking at it?

If your reply was to me, I was not talking about the clips on the finger adjusting bolts, I was talking about capscrews that hold some of the spring pressure off during assembly of the clutch on the flywheel, some have those some don't. Some pressure plates that have those, will have a tag under at least one of the capscrews saying they need to be removed after installation on the flywheel.

John Deere owns A&I, not A and R.

When one rebuilds some JD pressure plates there are some bench adjustments on the bench. Then the process is to pull the flywheel and assemble the clutch and pressure plate, in the flywheel, on the bench and adjust the pressure plate fingers before putting the flywheel back on the crank and assembling the clutch. That may not be the process for your Case and if John Deere techs without experience with tractors like yours, the advice might not be quite right or incomplete.

As wore out asked: "Are you saying the plates are installed on the flywheel and the fingers are not the same height?"

Or is it just setting on a bench/table and you are looking at it?
I found my 580 service manual and the 580 traction clutch fingers are adjusted after being assembled on the flywheel. They give a tool/gauge for that clutch and a dimension. I don't know that the 580 and 530 are the same tools or dimensions, however I do expect the 530 is supposed to be on the flywheel before adjusting. If you have a Case dealer in your area, you might ask if they would give a copy of the appropriate pages of the manual for your 530.

The Flywheel has been turned and is mounted on the tractor..

Next you mount loosely the clutch / Flywheel wheel then slide the disc in use a centering tool to line up the disc spline with the pressure plate spline and then tonque it down ...
The Fingers on The Pressure plate is the Measurement I am after

The Flywheel has been turned and is mounted on the tractor..

Next you mount loosely the clutch / Flywheel wheel then slide the disc in use a centering tool to line up the disc spline with the pressure plate spline and then tonque it down ...
The Fingers on The Pressure plate is the Measurement I am after
As mentioned above the measurements are made after the pressure plate is fastened to flywheel with the lined clutch plate in between it and the flywheel. Then if they are uneven then they definitely need adjustment. The stops on the plate that hold the fingers when the pressure plate is unbolted and the springs are pressing against them are not necessarily designed to hold the fingers in even positions.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back