Case DV project and general questions.

b2farming

New User
Hi guys, I purchased a Case D Vineyard this weekend that years ago was in the family. I haven't even picked it up yet. I was curious if there are any tips or tricks on these old girls to getting them started. It was kept in a wood barn in Central California and has not ran in probably 15 years or more.

I figure I'd start by draining and replacing all fluids. Putting a battery in it, checking for spark, cleaning the carburetor. Sort-of general stuff. Am I missing anything?

I appreciate a the help. We farm with mostly late model tractors. I don't know much about gas tractors. They were just from before my time.

Is there a good resource online for Case tractor info?

I'm just excited to start a new project.

Thanks, Nick

After sitting that long you had better check to see if it is stuck first. Do not turn the engine more than a few degrees. If not
stuck pull the hood, and valve cover and watch the valves while you turn it with a crank to make sure they are not stuck. Then you
can check for unwanted fluids in everything. Then fuel tank, spark, carb etc.

In addition to what DKase has said it's possible to check the valves by tapping them with a brass hammer or piece of wood and a hammer to see if they
are free. Use some penetrating or light oil on them first. The fuel tank most likely is a mess but you can check it by scraping the bottom with something
like a yard stick and seeing what you find. E85 gas and a length of 1/4 chain slid back and forth will clean it up. A small plastic lawn mower tank works
great for a temporary while your trying to get the motor going. Check your air intake for wasp nests or mouse trash. Sounds like a fun restore.

Nick,

After sitting that long it's possible the brakes may be locked up. Many people attempt to start a tractor right off by towing. Big mistake. Don

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back