Case VAC brakes

Jack695

New User
Good to be back. Was here quite some time ago. I had 3 VACs back then, all pre 51.
When I first moved here, I got the bug and started fixing these handy little tractors. My uncle and brother also helped quite a bit as I am no mechanic.
Fast forward. Sold my 3 VACs. Uncle and brother have both passed on. I went thru some serious medical issues but I am much better and home now. Retired and going crazy, I found 3 VACs for sale locally and got the bug back again.
Now they are out at my garage and I am back to bother all you experts with silly questions, and sit back and read your very interesting stories and experiences.
So, VAC 5651533 has the cover missing on the right side from the brake. This is a band brake, I believe. I am not sure what is missing from the inside (none of my service or parts books show this type of brake).
Anyone know where I can get a manual to repair this? I will need to find a brake cover and whatever else is missing. Anyone know if they are right/left side specific?
I understand Mr Saeli is still in business. He and lots of others were all very helpful on fb.
And I see that Nick Wink has passed- that was bad news.
I also need a carb for VAC 5572975. Even the body would be good, if anyone wants to sell one.
And my older VAC 5255729 needs a drawbar. (Actually none of them have drawbars- no idea why all the drawbars are gone and so hard to find!)
So thanks in advance for any advice or assistance. As always, feel free to drop your two cents right here. I am happy to take any constructive criticism and I welcome all advice from you.
Regards....J Price

Hello fellow Case collector! Yes, external_link is a wonderful source for Case parts, also Don Livingston has a plethora of Case parts as well. Both great to deal with! And I have an extra carburetor that recently had a kit put in it and test run on my VAC tractor. It is a Marvel-Schebler TSX-597 that came from a 49 VAC. My email is open if you are interested in it.

I'm glad you brought up this carb subject, I am interested. But before we get to that maybe you can clear up an issue that has confused me for a long time. What carb goes with what tractor.
Correct this for me, if you would:
Early VA Marvel Schebler TSX 114 and TSX 597 ( I dont know the difference and dont know if they are interchangeable)
Later VA after 51 and the Eagle Hitch: TSX 597 and Zenith 14544 (didnt the size of the engine increase slightly at this time?)
I had several VACs some time ago. All of them were pre 51 and the one with the TSX 597 always seemed to have issues.
Are these all interchangeable or not?
Will your carb, for example, fit on my 52 VAC with no issues (other than those that come from my poor skills)?
Just wondering out loud. Lots of confusing things about carbs to a non-professional like myself.
Pleased to hear your take on this....

Hello, I have been told they will not interchange, but I have never tried either. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on carburetors than me will be able to say for sure.

One of the absolute best things about this group and others like it, is the sharing of experiences and information. Good people helping out others for no reason other than charity and enjoyment of the hobby. This is the way all things ought to be.

(quoted from post at 18:03:30 10/02/23) One of the absolute best things about this group and others like it, is the sharing of experiences and information. Good people helping out others for no reason other than charity and enjoyment of the hobby.

Do either of the other tractors have a drawbar. A Fab shop can duplicate one. Va tractors are plentiful. Keep an eye open for a parts tractors. A lot of them available as parts tractors. Patience in your search. They pop up in trade magazines and Marketplace all the time. CM

We are thinking along the same lines.
None of my tractors have one, but as soon as I find one, I intend to take it to a local place and see what it would cost to make two more.
Thanks!

You should not have to make a drawbar ,,. here are so many Case salvage lots and So many Guys have them hanging on a nail in their sheds ,,... I think You will find the linkages are reversed between M/S and Zenith carbs ,,. that said if they will bolt up they will run ,, the biggest hurdle is linkage control s

You should not have to make a drawbar ,,. here are so many Case salvage lots and So many Guys have them hanging on a nail in their sheds ,,... I think You will find the linkages are reversed between M/S and Zenith carbs ,,. that said if they will bolt up they will run ,, the biggest hurdle is linkage control s
OLG, you are correct on the MS carb, the 00 series tractors had a throttle arm that pointed down where the governor rod hooks, and is an easy swap, the early 30 series are opposite but the carb inlet still faces back, and their linkage sticks up where the rod hooks. the early carbs were direct bolt onto the air cleaner box. the later carbs with the front mounted air cleaners in the 730-830 had the carb mounted with the air inlet to the front and the throttle shaft out the other side of the carb. DCs respond nicely to the MS carbs and idle so smooth. I have made all work for the DCs but had to modify the throttle shafts on both series except the first.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back