Confusion on P S lines

(quoted from post at 16:21:39 12/22/23) Because these steering cylinders do not have circuit relief valves in the system. Circuit reliefs are often used to protect
cylinders in many industrial applications. They are designed to open when the cylinder is subjected to a highly unusual
external force, like say using a front-end loader bucket as a dozer blade. Circuit reliefs are typically set much higher than
system reliefs. As an example, a front-end loader might have a system relief set at 2500 PSI, and circuit reliefs set as high
as 3500 or even 4000 PSI.

A steering cylinder can bend when the wheels suddenly drop into a deep hole. Since the cylinders do not have circuit reliefs,
they bend, or crack a spindle, or break a tie rod end, etc.

Some folks have reported bent cylinder rods from just holding the steering wheel at full stop for an extended period.

For shits and giggles today i disconnected both steering cylinders and raised front end of the ground with the bucket. I then cranked the wheel back and forth and by surprise both cylinders reacted like they should. But istill am leaking oil around the seams of the control valve..

It does not.

Plenty of photos out there of aftermarket cylinders with severly bent shafts due to improperly connected hoses.

Bingo.

Plenty of photos on the net of severly bent cylinder rods due to improperly connected hoses.

Most that I have seen were new aftermarket cylinders, which, no doubt, are not made to the same quality of the OEM cylinders.

Old tractors may have had replacement pumps installed with unknown relief valve pressure.

I replaced the cylinders on my 64, 4000 utility a few years ago. Cylinders were YT aftermarket and pump was original. Still, I jacked up front end and cycled everything manually with engine off before
loosening PS belt and starting engine. In my case, no issues because I had tagged each hose before removal of the old, internally leaking OEM cylinders.

Why would anyone risk damage to cylinders when loosening the belt is so very easy?

(quoted from post at 15:51:16 12/24/23) Too much oil in the Power Steering resevoir would'nt make the control valve leak alot would it?

No. It might make it leak at the reservoir cap, but not at the control valve.

Would running it without a filter in the resevoir increase pressure and make it leak? I am noticing oil leaking out of the vent on the steering box

Lack of a filter in the reservoir would not cause a leak at the control valve. Leaks are caused by seals that are not sealing or an over pressure issue. Lack of a filter would not cause an over pressure situation.

(quoted from post at 19:53:49 12/25/23) Lack of a filter in the reservoir would not cause a leak at the control valve. Leaks are caused by seals that are not sealing or an over pressure issue. Lack of a filter would not cause an over pressure situation.

Thanks Sean ..i figured that but thought I'd ask. I have this tractor sold ... Guy is coming Wednesday with the Cash. I don't have time to order seals, orings to reseal it. I do notice the oil in the reservoir is milky looking. I guess I'll leave it up to the buyer.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back