Correct corn plate for JD 7000?

I bought a JD 7000 a few years ago and didn't realize at the time that I bought one of the few with Plates. Yup, I have a Plate Planter and would like to ask for your help, here on Yesterdays Planters.

I want to plant corn this year, and I need to buy a plate.

I bought my seed corn and it has plate info on the bag. It says the seed size is MR and says I need a B25 plate, which it says is Plastic or a 16 cell steel plate: 2043 or a 24 cell steel: 2824. (But maybe the "plastic" or "steel" isn't correct)

I understand that 24 cell is better, so I should buy that.

Lincoln Ag has a 24 cell plate, part: B25-24. They also have a different plate, part number: B28-24, which is close to 2824 from the bag.

1. Do you know the difference between B25-24 and B28-24? Which do you think would be the right one for my 7000?

New question: Does anyone have a manual for a JD 7000 planter and be willing to look up the chart for the settings, for this question?

2. Does the manual have a chart specifically for plate settings? (The charts I've seen are for finger pick-up)
3. If there is a chart for a plate, would it be for 16 hole plate?
Then I would have do a calculation for a 24 hole plate? Is that correct?

I have a manual, but can't find it now. I'm willing to buy one, but am wondering if it even has the setting/chart for plates.

Is Lincoln Ag the only place that sells plates?
https://lincolnagproducts.com/produ...und-corn-plates/jd-24-cell-round-corn-plates/

Thank you!

mvphoto104982.png

mvphoto104983.png

Just a quick note about your planter - here in central Kansas I've never seen a 7000 that wasn't a plate version. While what you have would be considered unusual in the corn belt it would
be about all you will find in areas where milo was/is commonly grown. The plates were replaced by the vacuum meters but a finger pickup meter here would be virtually unheard of.

The Lincoln Ag Products website will give you the cell dimensions if you click on the details link that is over the picture. The three dimensions it shows would be the length, width,
and depth of the cells. Using these dimensions you can see that the B25 plate has significantly smaller cells than the B28. The B28 would be for quite large round seed and would drop a
lot of doubles with medium round seed.

We used IH plate planters for a very long time and the concepts are the same.

You should get whatever the seed bag says is the best fit plate, if you don't already own plates. The main reason to use an alternate plate is if you have it, but you don't have the recommended plate.

I'm surprised your planter didn't come with a huge bag of plates. Have you checked all the fertilizer, seed and insecticide hoppers?

Why you'd use one plate over another is seed fit. Each cell should only allow one kernel to enter it. It should not be so tight that the kernels get jammed. It should not be so loose to let two kernels enter.

16 vs. 24 cells is all about seed population. Any charts should show both 16 and 24 cell populations. We never had any 16 cell plates, always 24. You probably can't get modern populations with a 16 cell plate.

Metal plates went out with the 1940's. Don't kill yourself trying to find them. Lustran plates are fine.

I did a quick google search for B25-24 and there are plenty of places that sell them. Burch Store Tractors shows them for $20 each.

i have one that i have not used in 20 years its a 6-30 planter. i have plates hanging on the wall and i still have a manual for it. i don't remember the numbers but the
last few years around me you could not get corn sized like MR ( med round ) and had a set of cast plates that worked well. if you close to me as i am in southeast Indiana let
me know by replying to this. i am about to the point of scraping the planter to make room. i will help you if i can good luck.

I didn't know JD 7000s used plates. I guess I'm wrong.
When you go to the Lincoln Ag site go to the support option. There you will find a PDF for everything you need to know about Lustran plates.
JD manual PC-268 is the bible on JD plates.
The new Lincoln Ag plates have become very pricey. Used plates are available from many sources like Ebay. I probably have a couple hundred myself plastic and steel.

Thank you to everyone for your responses.
My seeds are small round, so that's the plates I need.

Urban Case,
Thank you very much for your offer!
Yes, I would like your manual and your plates.
Would you be willing to put them in a box and mail them to me?
I would pay for it, of course.
Does this show, Send email, at the bottom of this message? If so, please send me a message.

For Barnyard guy, yes it came with other plates, but I can't find corn plates with it.
For Brendon, Yup, I bought it in Kansas, didn't realize that a planter might be different, if it was from a different area. Thanks for the details on the difference on the plates

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back