Ford 4000 Fuel Injection Pump Help

FishDuck

New User
Evening all, first time guy here looking for help with a 1968 Ford 4000 3 cyl diesel. The injection pump was leaking so a mechanic friend pulled it off and took it to a local company to have it rebuilt. Well, they took it completely apart and said they could not find all the parts for it....gave it back to me in a bag, completely torn down.

The pump has the serial number 3233F290 - and I can't seem to correlate that to a rebuilt pump or a kit to do the rebuild. Seeing that I've got a bag of parts and I didn't do the tear down, rebuilding it would be a challenging task. I've snooped around on this site and youtube, and finally decided to just make this post and see if anyone was willing to help me out with a way forward.

Anyone have any advice or suggestions on where to source parts or a new/reman pump? I'm in the SE VA area of the country. Thanks.

Evening all, first time guy here looking for help with a 1968 Ford 4000 3 cyl diesel. The injection pump was leaking so a mechanic friend pulled it off and took it to a local company to have it rebuilt. Well, they took it completely apart and said they could not find all the parts for it....gave it back to me in a bag, completely torn down.

The pump has the serial number 3233F290 - and I can't seem to correlate that to a rebuilt pump or a kit to do the rebuild. Seeing that I've got a bag of parts and I didn't do the tear down, rebuilding it would be a challenging task. I've snooped around on this site and youtube, and finally decided to just make this post and see if anyone was willing to help me out with a way forward.

Anyone have any advice or suggestions on where to source parts or a new/reman pump? I'm in the SE VA area of the country. Thanks.
I've not had any trouble finding parts for that model CAV DPA pump. If the hydraulic head and cam ring are good I'd repair/calibrate the one you have versus risking buying a China pump.

Hello FD, welcome to YT! Dieseltech, is somewhat speaking in first person here. He runs a pump shop in Indiana. Many folks on here ship their pumps to him for repair. All I have ever heard is he does quality work for very reasonable prices. You can start a “Private Message” with him by click his username and choosing Start Conversation. Replies will show by a number on your “Mail or letter” icon at the top of the page.

You used an incorrect phrase in your post "mechanic friend", 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 Any mechanic worth his salt would not strip down a pump like that and leave it in a bag. Even the slightest bit of rust or damage can cost you a new pump. When I was trained to service them in a Ford approved diesel shop, the parts came out of the pump and straight into a liquid bath of Ensis Fluid so they did not come into prolong contact with the air. The only time we touched them or had them out of the fluid was when we inspected or re-assembled them.

Diesel Tech on here is your best bet, he works on the pumps constantly and has an enviable reputation for good workmanship and a fair price. Hope the pump is not too bad.

You used an incorrect phrase in your post "mechanic friend", 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲 Any mechanic worth his salt would not strip down a pump like that and leave it in a bag. Even the slightest bit of rust or damage can cost you a new pump. When I was trained to service them in a Ford approved diesel shop, the parts came out of the pump and straight into a liquid bath of Ensis Fluid so they did not come into prolong contact with the air. The only time we touched them or had them out of the fluid was when we inspected or re-assembled them.

Diesel Tech on here is your best bet, he works on the pumps constantly and has an enviable reputation for good workmanship and a fair price. Hope the pump is not too bad.
M-man, since we really like to pick things apart here, we cannot really condemn his friend/mechanic. The way I read it I am not sure that he had anything to do with the return of the pump to the OP, the pump was torn down by the “local company” could be taken either way. But point of proper handling of the pump and parts is a notable suggestion.

M-man, since we really like to pick things apart here, we cannot really condemn his friend/mechanic. The way I read it I am not sure that he had anything to do with the return of the pump to the OP, the pump was torn down by the “local company” could be taken either way. But point of proper handling of the pump and parts is a notable suggestion.
British sense of humour, Red.

The injection pump was leaking so a mechanic friend pulled it off and took it to a local company to have it rebuilt. Well, they took it completely apart and said they could not find all the parts for it....gave it back to me in a bag, completely torn down.

If it is or was a real company I'd say they owe you an injection pump! If you're looking for advise I'd box what you have and send it to Dieseltech, sounds like he can fix you up.

Appreciate the suggestions and I have reached out to Dieseltech. And yes, pretty disappointed in the local company, it was frustrating to say the least.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back