slimchance87

New User
I ve looked through the forum and everyone that I found that has the same problem as me either don t show the end fix or either don t have the same problem. So I m hopin to get the right figured out. So here goes, I have a 1974-5 ford 4000 (3 cylinder diesel). I got it real cheap and was locked up but since then I ve got it running good for the most part but the rear lift. Without a load it comes up fine and stays for days. With a load tiller, disk or hay cutter it only lifts it a few inches. With the hay cutter. It s a Kuhn 6ft and the remote valve raises it up fine but the lift doesn t wanna pick it up. I ve was the YouTube video of troubleshooting the N series but I dono if it applies or not. Thank you

Get yourself a service manual, either the one from Ford or the after market I&T manual. Both have very good step-by-step instructions for troubleshooting the 3 point lift system. They also have the steps for replacing all of the seals and o-rings under the top cover and performing all of the necessary adjustments while you have the top cover off.

I was hoping that I m someone that had the same problem would chime in and see what they tried. Someone with personal experience

Since your remote valve works that means the pump and main pressure relief are functioning
That leaves the lift top, sticking in loader valve, control valve not working properly, piston relief valve, linkage issue
All of those require removing the lift top
While it s off replace the o-rings, check and adjust everything according to the repair manual
I ve got 3 of that type lift and had a issue similar to yours years ago. I don t remember what actually fixed it because I did a full lift top service while it was off
Did the same on all of them, their all still working 15-23 years later

Put a gauge on the remotes and see what the output pressure is... At 1600 rpm I would expect to see 1800 lbs minimum when remote is activated.... Cold, expect more but after warmed up, it should vibrate around 1800lbs.. as the pressure relief valve is set at 2175 lbs iirc. But if pump is worn out, it will show ok cold and in a few minutes test low. Ive seen 600 to 1200 lbs on worn out pumps. If pressure is tests ok.. then look hydraulics for bad oring on lift piston, cyl safety check valve, or leaky valves.

you can buy a glycerin filled gauge that goes to 3000lbs off ebay and screw a male hydraulic fitting on it... plug it in, and activate the correct remote.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back