Ford 5000 Diesel / Fordson Super Major

Jmaki

New User
I am looking at purchasing a Ford 5000 Diesel which is actually Fordson Major just rebranded for North American sales. It was listed as just a Ford 5000 so I thought ok parts will be easily accessible but since finding out it s a rebranded Fordson I haven t been able to find too many parts in North America for it. Are some of the actual early Ford 5000 parts interchangeable? If so what parts? Clutch? Hydraulics? Etc.
Basically I don t want to purchase a tractor that I cannt source parts for as we all know eventually it s going to need them.
Also like to hear others opinions on this tractor, this one seems to run very good and it s in very good shape for the year.

What little I do know about then is that they are two very different tractors.Few if any parts interchange. I would not consider buying a Major. However,a Ford 5000 is one of the best tractors ford ever built.
Bullet proof and long life.They are several in the area,but it is next to impossible to find one for sale as no ever sells them. They just keep em and use em....Forever.

Your looking at Ford Super Major 5000 that was sold in North American which is the same as the Fordson New Performance Super Major that was sold in the rest of the world, with only the color scheme being different. All where built in England share and no parts with the '65 and newer Ford 5000 tractors. They are tough, sip fuel, great cold weather starters and sold well all over the world. I gave mine a make over a few years ago and purchased all my parts including a new clutch from Agriline in England, shipping was reasonable to Canada. Filters can be purchase from your local auto parts store. If you get it make sure you change the oil in the injection pump. Good luck. PS It would be better if you post any more questions in the Fordson forum, it will stay on the first page a lot longer.

mvphoto102965.jpg

A neighbor once had a Fordson Major. It was tough tractor that got good fuel economy.As I recall,he had few if any problems. But a complete out of frame overhaul cost more than he could have bought a newer
tractor for.The couple of times I ran it,it seemed aukward and cumbersome.

My uncle loved his Major decades ago. They are good tractors from what I hear.

They are nothing like a 5000. As others have said better.

So..... good tractor, you can get parts, but not so common over here. I dont know what to say for advice. :)

Paul

I wouldnt discount it because of having to buy parts
overseas. I import a lot of parts for many brands because
its more economical than buying them locally (Canada).

I have a few majors - all superb tractors. You shouldn't have any trouble with parts. Pretty much all equipment dealers in North America buy many of their parts through
Sparex, which is an aftermarket tractor parts supplier. Sparex sells parts for almost all makes/models, but because they're British-based, they have oodles of parts for
any British tractors and have pretty all the parts you could ever want for the majors. The closest dealer of any kind to me is a Deere dealer, but they bring in a Sparex
order every few weeks so if I need some major parts I just get them to add them to their regular order.

All versions of the Majors were extremely popular. Worldwide parts support for them is far, far better than several other models that might seem more familiar to us North
Americans. The only parts that are hard to come buy are ignition parts for the gas-powered E1A majors (still hasn't stopped me from buying and using three gas majors -
probably my favourite tractors).

All versions of the majors are tough old girls - see this post where I talked about their ruggedness:
Fordson Majors Built Tough

(quoted from post at 12:32:31 03/01/23) I have a few majors - all superb tractors. You shouldn't have any trouble with parts. Pretty much all equipment dealers in North America buy many of their parts through
Sparex, which is an aftermarket tractor parts supplier. Sparex sells parts for almost all makes/models, but because they're British-based, they have oodles of parts for
any British tractors and have pretty all the parts you could ever want for the majors. The closest dealer of any kind to me is a Deere dealer, but they bring in a Sparex
order every few weeks so if I need some major parts I just get them to add them to their regular
Fordson Majors Built Tough

Thanks for the info, I looked at that site but didn t see anywhere to order from, do you need to be a dealer to buy from them?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back