ford 555d not charging

mazdmec1

New User
got a 555d backhoe that the alternator was starting to seize and broke the belt. Got a reman alternator from case/new holland and belt. Put them on, charged up the battery and checked charging, it wasnt charging. Noticed the warning light wasnt on either. I grounded the wire for the lamp circuit at the alternator and the lamp comes on. I am thinking that I have a bad alternator but wanted to make sure there wasnt something simple i was overlooking. B+ and warning circuit both have battery voltage when running and key on engine off.

got a 555d backhoe that the alternator was starting to seize and broke the belt. Got a reman alternator from case/new holland and belt. Put them on, charged up the battery and checked charging, it wasnt charging. Noticed the warning light wasnt on either. I grounded the wire for the lamp circuit at the alternator and the lamp comes on. I am thinking that I have a bad alternator but wanted to make sure there wasnt something simple i was overlooking. B+ and warning circuit both have battery voltage when running and key on engine off.
If charge light doesn't come on with key switch in run position and engine not running (we know the bulb is good) the service manual sends you to Alternator Output Lead Test shown below. If you don't have a service manual and need additional info let me know.
Ford555DAltternatorA.jpg

got another reman alternator on still not charging. Does anyone have the rest of the troubleshooting from the manual, so far I pass the steps on the first page that Andy posted.

does anyone know what this wire is, where it goes and what if any voltage that should be on it?

Attachments

• Ford555DAltternatorA.jpg
    Ford555DAltternatorA.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 26
Figured this all out. Battery sensor was unplugged. Had to replace the connector because i couldnt get it plugged back in. It is now charging but the battery light still does not come on. Going to let the customer run it for a while.

Figured this all out. Battery sensor was unplugged. Had to replace the connector because i couldnt get it plugged back in. It is now charging but the battery light still does not come on. Going to let the customer run it for a while.
That's what I was going to suggest next. Was in the process of posting partial wiring diagram. Fusible link not blow because battery voltage appears at alternator and indicator lamp circuit checked O.K. per test.
FordWireDiagram.jpg

Probably not the response you want to hear, but on my 555 when it stopped charging, I just said 'to heck' with the Ford alternator and Motorolla regulator. I just put a standard, internally-regulated, three-wire 10SI on there, ran the three new wires, and permanently bypassed all that old wiring and stock regulator. Very easy and foolproof: You can pick up a new or rebuilt 10SI for less than $200 and it will save you all sorts of headaches diagnosing other electrical/regulator gremlins. I didn't even bother with the indicator light: Chances of a 10SI failing in my life are so slim that I'm not fussed about it. Even if it does fail, it's as simple as doing a standard rebuild on a 10SI - the wiring for them is so simple that there's nothing else to fail.

Last edited:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back