Benj R

I am in need of a crown and pinion for a 1956 Ford 850 tractor. A good 23
spline pinion is available to me, and I was wondering if anyone has ever cut the
10 spline driveshaft and welded the 23 spline to it? Thanks Ben
cvphoto164259.jpg

cvphoto164260.jpg

cvphoto164261.jpg

If you have both couplers, it would be easier to cut both couplers in half and weld a 10 spline half to a 23 spline half.

An 850 would be a five speed. all you have to do is grab the output shaft on the transmission pull it out and slide a fine spline shaft back in. You need a fine spline coupler any way. Find a fine spline out put shaft for a five speed.
Ron

Thanks, everyone for your reply's. I will make my way back to the salvage where
I got the parts and see what we can come up with, the replacement crown assembly
also needs changing, as the axels are fine splined and the 800s are not. I may
just end up cuting the couplers as suggested, and removing the crown gear off of
the fine splined assembly. I will let you guys know how I make out. I am from
Saskatchewan Canada. Thanks again. Ben.

RBnSC I wander if you might want to rethink your above statement. I think the output of a 5 speed is a gear with an internal spline.

You want see a picture of one?
cvphoto164296.jpg

This is a coarse spline shaft I took out of a five speed I changed to fine spline output. To put in a tractor I owned to have live pto. A four speed has to be taken apart to change from coarse to fine. Which I also have done on another tractor. So no I do not wish to change my statement.
Ron

Accept my apologies as I thought we were trying to put a fIne spline shaft in to the course spline gear in the transmission. I guess this 89 year old mind doesn't think that far ahead anymore. Sorry

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back