ford 8n carburetor

kuzie88

New User
I have an 8n Ford tractor. I cannot get it to start regularly, for along time. I've replaced the carburator (probably a cheap-po) and tried to adjust. No luck. About 4 or 5 years ago I had another 8n and I had the same issues. After replacing the carburator back then I had the same issues. A nice gentleman on some forum help me with adjustments but I couldn't do it. So he offered to sell me the carburator on his running 8n tractor and I bought it. When I received it I put it on and it started immediately and ran great.

I was wondering if I could find someone on here to do the exact same thing.

I have an 8n Ford tractor. I cannot get it to start regularly, for along time. I've replaced the carburator (probably a cheap-po) and tried to adjust. No luck. About 4 or 5 years ago I had another 8n and I had the same issues. After replacing the carburator back then I had the same issues. A nice gentleman on some forum help me with adjustments but I couldn't do it. So he offered to sell me the carburator on his running 8n tractor and I bought it. When I received it I put it on and it started immediately and ran great.

I was wondering if I could find someone on here to do the exact same thing.
There are a few options here on YT for carburetors. I know they appear to be expensive as compared to the cheap knock offs but they work. Years ago I did buy a rebuilt carburetor on this site and returned my core for a refund. The carburetor has worked great on my 8N51. On my last project I rebuilt the carburetor with a kit from YT. The rebuilding of the carburetor was not hard but you need to be meticulous and a shop manual walking you through the steps is very helpful.

There are a few options here on YT for carburetors. I know they appear to be expensive as compared to the cheap knock offs but they work. Years ago I did buy a rebuilt carburetor on this site and returned my core for a refund. The carburetor has worked great on my 8N51. On my last project I rebuilt the carburetor with a kit from YT. The rebuilding of the carburetor was not hard but you need to be meticulous and a shop manual walking you through the steps is very helpful.
Thanks but I prefer to get one if I can that needs no adjustments, thats proven it works and ready to hook up and go. Thanks

I would just get a factory carb and rebuild it. There is lots of info on how to adjust them. If you dont want to rebuild it yourself there are guys who sell the factory carbs already cleaned up and rebuilt. Some even test them on a tractor before sending them out.

You also need to make sure the ignition is in good working order if that has not been gone over. Dont forget to verify you are getting adequate fuel flow out the bottom of the carb as well.

This is not my photo its from FB but here is one of the guys who does this service. Just remember that every motor is different and the environment they run in will dictate the tune so just because it runs good on another tractor doesn't mean it wont need adjusted on yours.
1715779981595.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks but I prefer to get one if I can that needs no adjustments, thats proven it works and ready to hook up and go. Thanks

You are still going to have to adjust the idle, and high/lo screws to make it run good.

If those are not right on the current carb it could be part of the problem.

Are you sure you are not flooding the tractor with the choke when you try to start it? Are the spark plugs wet? This is more of a problem during cold weather.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back