Ford 8n starts but dies without choke

I am a little confused on the order stuff as well. I'll put a picture on here of how it is right now and tell me if this is wrong. I haven't changed anything yet.
Please explain the procedure/methods you used to clean out the carburetor. What you did in the process may give a clue.

Your sketch is correct. Number 1 cylinder is closest to the distributor, and they go 2-3-4 from there. Your sketch of the distributor has the firing order correct as the rotor turns counterclockwise.

To be clear the shut off/sediment bowl assembly is fitted into the fuel tank outlet port. The bottom part of the carburetor is what is commonly called the fuel bowl. Best if everyone uses the same terms for the components.

Have you checked for spark at the plugs?

Have you removed the distributor and checked/replaced/cleaned and set the points in the distributor?

Had a similar problem with a 2000 4 cylinder gas. Turned out to be trash in the carburetor. With engine running, open the choke to keep it running, opened the main carb valve until engine almost quit because of flooding, closed main valve back until engine cleared. All is well until next problem arises. And with a 62 year old machine it surely will.

There is a really good procedure to fix a will not run without choke problem in an old post in the archives. Check out the the response from Bruce(VA).

Cliff(VA) now (NC)

There is a really good procedure to fix a will not run without choke problem in an old post in the archives. Check out the the response from Bruce(VA).

Cliff(VA) now (NC)
Hey thanks. This is a great tool for reference. I changed all the spark plugs and put on another carb, and changed the gasket on the original glass bowl and put it back on. And it ran for a little bit, I adjusted the carb and it ran a little longer, but the last time when I pushed the button to start it, it made a noise that's hard to describe, and then after that it just clicks when I push the button to start it. I don't know what I did

Hey thanks. This is a great tool for reference. I changed all the spark plugs and put on another carb, and changed the gasket on the original glass bowl and put it back on. And it ran for a little bit, I adjusted the carb and it ran a little longer, but the last time when I pushed the button to start it, it made a noise that's hard to describe, and then after that it just clicks when I push the button to start it. I don't know what I did
Battery either needs to be charged or cable connection cleaned and tighten

Hey thanks. This is a great tool for reference. I changed all the spark plugs and put on another carb, and changed the gasket on the original glass bowl and put it back on. And it ran for a little bit, I adjusted the carb and it ran a little longer, but the last time when I pushed the button to start it, it made a noise that's hard to describe, and then after that it just clicks when I push the button to start it. I don't know
Sounds like the battery needs charging OR the battery cable connections need cleaning and tightening. What's happening is, there is enough current to operate the solenoid, that's the noise you hear but not enough current for the starter.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back