Got a project done

jon f mn

Worked on the 1030 yesterday. Got the new manifold gaskets in. The manifold had a tab broke off that holds the halves together, so I had to fix that.

cvphoto168660.jpg

cvphoto168661.jpg

I always thought braze was soft, but this was very hard. Dulled several bits to drill the hole.

cvphoto168662.jpg

Then I worked on the leaking fuel tank. Foundbthis leak.

cvphoto168663.jpg

This tank has been patched several times and it was here too. Some were brazed and some soldered. Since this one was previously soldered I did that again. But then I found another leak under that bracket that holds the tank on. So i had to removehe braket and found the hole.

cvphoto168664.jpg

The reason there were holes there is when they welded the brakes on they burned through the cover plate and into the tank itself, so when things moved it tore a hole in the tank. The cover plate on the tank is put on loose on purpose so it will flex some and not Crack the tank. So I soldered the holes first.

cvphoto168665.jpg

Then welded the brakes back on.

cvphoto168666.jpg

Found no leaks after so hope it holds up for a while. I even put new rubber under the tank so it shouldn't rub through on the bottom again.

Then I fixed the hydraulic valve. Since I got this tractor the main valve wouldn't re-center when pushed forward. I've taken it apart twice before to fix the thermals because it got left like that long enough to melt them. Both times I looked for the cause but couldn't find it. Took the ends off again looking for a broken spring or something, but everything looked good. So then I pulled the swivels off and that where the problem was, one spring was in backward.

cvphoto168667.jpg

This pic is in correctly, but when it was backward it would go too deep into the swivel and not push on the check ball properly.

Finally I put a new muffler on. I bought a new Stanley muffler last year, but didn't like it because it was so loud, and it broke after less than a year. I found this one that is for an oliver and looks similar and should be quieter. I'll take it to a muffler shop and have the bottom cut off and stretched so it fits down in the hood as it should. I think it will be better than the one made for the 9/1030.

cvphoto168668.jpg

Hopefully that will be the last time the 1030 gets in the shop for a while.

I too admire that you are doing your best to keep your Case equipment going.Thanks for showing us in pictures your results

Next is the skidloader. The alternator needs replacing and I have to finish the engine swap. I need to clean up the wiring and such to make it clean and nice.

Great job as always Jon, thanks for sharing your projects and the details you provide in working on them. Have a great holiday season and successful maintenance on your Case equipment.

Gene

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back