Got the Paint on.

Great looking job Andrew!! Im glad a young man like you shows interest in restoring these old tractors. Beware they are addictive! I can see many more
in your future. Keep up the great work

You are doing an excellent job for your age and experience. I'm 74 and still learning. TRy to remember if possible to get a video of your first start, particularly your face. Bet your eyes will be sweating,lol.

Fairview ..... maybe I missed something but to be honest, I don't see a single 'negative' reply. Some might be 'additional advice' or 'suggestions' but isn't that what a discussion forum is for?

Looking good! Menards, Northern Hydraulic ect. sell a small hoop shed for not much money to keep you out of the weather.

So I got the paint on.
Rustred, I am only painting the block, bottom half of the head, and the frame that the block and head sit on. The reason the case is still dirty and greasy is I'm not painting it until I reassemble the engine. I cleaned the surfaces I painted with a wire brush on my angle grinder, used a grease remover and wiped everything down before painting. It took me four days of cleaning before I was satisfied with the result and felt it was ready to paint. I have a book on restoring John Deere Two-Cylinders and it says I should paint the areas that would be hard to reach when it is assembled before I reassemble it.

As for the temp and coverage, I have a friend who is a professional painter and I consulted him and said I'm doing just fine.

I would love to keep the tractor indoors, but all we have is a small, unheated attached garage and a shed barely big enough for our walk behind mowers and garden supplies. I have all the removed parts on shelves inside. I just can't afford a shed for it. I keep it under a tarp when I'm not working on it.

The bottom line is, please remember I'm a fifteen year old guy doing the best I can to save a piece of antique farm equipment and trying to get into the hobby. I don't have a steady job so it has been a battle but I'm determined to win it.

mvphoto111622.jpg

mvphoto111623.jpg

mvphoto111624.jpg

mvphoto111625.jpg

mvphoto111626.jpg

mvphoto111627.jpg
The education you are obviously earning doing this will serve you for all your life. There is no issue with having some parts painted and others "fence row fresh" every person that would scoff at your efforts never picked up a tool at 50years old, let alone yours!!! I applaud your efforts. Jim

As a lot of challenges in life seem impossible, you'll find that once you have accomplished them, the only real challenge was your doubt in yourself. Good job!
On another note, be sure and find a girlfriend that thinks your tractor is amazing. Mine does.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back