governor spring

dieselbob

I'm using an engine from an E gleaner combine in a project and need to have a higher RPM from the engine need around 2500 rpm or maybe even 2800 it would be for short time periods and then just idle, can this be done with a gov spring from a 170 or D17? What other modifications would be needed to the governor? The engine is running a hydraulic pump on a lift. Bob

I'm probably not saying anything you don't already know- If you've been working on the E engine, you know the governor is different than on a tractor. It is just as you desire, a governed wide open speed, then the throttle cable over-rides it and pulls the carb back to an idle. Whereas the tractor throttle controls the governor and gives you variable governed speeds. You then also are aware of the adjustment screw on the E governor. I don't know how many more RPM's you can get with that. The tractor governors are enough different I don't know if the springs would do you any good. I'm thinking some trial and error will take place. With those speeds mentioned you may well get some vibration issues. They tried that engine in the first 180 tractors and had to give up because of vibration.

(quoted from post at 05:12:09 10/16/23) I'm using an engine from an E gleaner combine in a project and need to have a higher RPM from the engine need around 2500 rpm or maybe even 2800 it would be for short time periods and then just idle, can this be done with a gov spring from a 170 or D17? What other modifications would be needed to the governor? The engine is running a hydraulic pump on a lift. Bob
The governor spring/plunger from a D-17 engine is the stiffest spring Allis ever offered. With a properly adjusted D-17 governor and the stock governor spring, 2100 RPM was achievable, but that was it. The 170/175 tractor governor spring used in a D-17 would only hit about 1850 RPM on the top, as it was a weaker tension spring. What they did to the 170/175 was lighten the governor weights to work with the lighter spring to reach a factory high idle of 2000 to 2050 RPM. The governor weights on a WC-WD-WD45-D17 and E Gleaner are the same thickness, what I call 5/8" using a cheap calipers. The 170/175 gov weights are 7/16" thick, making them lighter and can get by with a lighter spring to make the same top RPM. I made a set of weights (decades ago) by grinding on the front (towards the radiator) of a pair of governor weights until I got them down to 3/8" thick and then used a D-17 governor spring. I think my top speed with that combo was 2500 RPM. I had no "mill". I just used the bench grinder and the side of the bench grinder stone to finish up the grinding and had a calipers constantly checking as I went along. If you know anything about a D-17 engine, you will know that sometimes they pitch the governor weights down thru the timing gears. This happens from WORN governor weights and WORN timing gears, which causes the weights to get shaken when they spin instead of spinning smoothly. So, my best advice to you is to lighten up your E Gleaner governor weights to 3/8" thick, use a D-17 governor spring and if you need more RPM yet, hang another spring from the drain cock on the block to the governor arm and place more tension on it for more RPM. I believe one of the three reasons for the lighter governor weights on the 170 was to lessen governor weight explosions that the D-17 had some of. With you lightening the weights, the increase in RPM shouldn't matter. I say this assuming your governor weights aren't worn out/loose on the pivot pins.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back