How the best way to make spark plug wires ends?

timsch

I'm planning on replacing the spark plug wires on my 8N. I bought a set from YT that have the ends clips like this.

1706572509534.png

Most of the instructions I've seen have ends more like this:

1706572605358.png

Instructions for the 2nd type show the core of the wire long enough sticking out of the SP wire to fold over and crimp the end around the outer and jacket together.

With the type of end I have, is it done any differently? The wires currently on the tractor look to have a short length of core that attaches to the end clip somehow - I can't see for sure, but it doesn't look bent over

What's the most secure way to make this connection?

Attachments

• 1706572461426.png
    1706572461426.png
    703.8 KB · Views: 10
I made an instructional post on the here back in 2018 but can't find it on here now. But here's the best I can do to replicate it now. The best crimper I've found is the one pictured for antenna wire. I also found that when crimping the end with the TV tool, if you put a 1/8" drill bit shank into the crimper along with the end, the drill bit will push the ends of the end down into the rubber on the wire.

plugwirecrimp.jpg

PlugWires1.jpg

PlugWires2.jpg

Plugwires2.jpg

Last edited:
I'm planning on replacing the spark plug wires on my 8N. I bought a set from YT that have the ends clips like this.

View attachment 3896

View attachment 3897

Instructions for the 2nd type show the core of the wire long enough sticking out of the SP wire to fold over and crimp the end around the outer and jacket together.

With the type of end I have, is it done any differently? The wires currently on the tractor look to have a short length of core that attaches to the end clip somehow - I can't see for sure, but it doesn't look bent over

Your brass ones pictured look like the distributor ends.
And I think those are made so that the whole cable is cut square off with no core hanging out.
Then the center spike is stabbed into end of cable and the sides crimped towards each other, hoping the side spikes reach in far enough to penetrate the core wire.

1706579652323.png

I have not had good results with those ends......you can get good crimp on ends and a crimper from Amazon and other places.

View attachment 3896

View attachment 3897

With either end I strip a bit of insulation off of the wire or suppression core and bend it over so it's under the crimped on end. As to the correct tool for crimping the end of the wire at the sparkplug here's ONE example and it works well.

IMG_20240129_202237617.jpg

Your brass ones pictured look like the distributor ends.
And I think those are made so that the whole cable is cut square off with no core hanging out.
Then the center spike is stabbed into end of cable and the sides crimped towards each other, hoping the side spikes reach in far enough to penetrate the core wire.

View attachment 3953
Yep, distributor ends. OK, now I understand how it is supposed to work. The ones on my 8N have a gap between the end of the cable and the crimped ends, so the connection is sketchy. They're definitely not quality pieces from the kit that I have, so if there are others that are better, I'm open to it, if that's what cobweb is point to.

I made an instructional post on the here back in 2018 but can't find it on here now. But here's the best I can do to replicate it now. The best crimper I've found is the one pictured for antenna wire. I also found that when crimping the end with the TV tool, if you put a 1/8" drill bit shank into the crimper along with the end, the drill bit will push the ends of the end down into the rubber on the wire.

plugwirecrimp.jpg

PlugWires1.jpg

PlugWires2.jpg

Plugwires2.jpg
I came across a link to your post today, but it was 404 when I clicked on it. Too bad. I rember seeing it not long ago...

View attachment 3896

View attachment 3897

1st pix are for copper core wires, you leave enoufh copper wire sticking out to go thru the center hole then solder it to the brass end. If you don't bond the wire to the terminal you will end up with a mess.

plugwirecrimp.jpg

PlugWires1.jpg

PlugWires2.jpg

Plugwires2.jpg

I found the tutorial of sorts that I posted at YT on Oct 9,2018.
the thread is titled: :Soldering copper-cores to wire ends.
Same thread others have mentioned I think.

Some of the angular ends that I found didn't have that hole to pull the wire through so I drilled holes through them.
I splayed the wire out over the back of the terminal and soldered it there. Fed the wire through the hole on the way in then crimped and soldered using propane and liquid flux..

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back