How to remove grain tank extension on combine?

There's a standard, of combines and other equipment, can't be higher than 12 foot high, (maybe that's an old standard) the machine shed is maybe 12 foot and 6 inches, so your combine will fit in your shed.

Except the previous owner added a grain tank extension. So my new/used 1660 won't go in my shed.

I want to remove the extension. I've decided I value the ability to put my combine in the shed has more value to me than having more capacity when combining.

Question: How do you remove a grain tank extension? After you remove the bolts, how do you lift it off? No one's front end loader goes 13 foot high.

I'm thinking about: Find a tree branch that's just right, drive under it and use ratchet straps to raise it off. Might still be a project to get it down from the tree.

What do you think? Have you ever used a tree branch to lift something off a trailer, etc?

How heavy is a grain tank extension? This one is 8 foot wide by 8.5 foot.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Combine3.jpg
    Combine3.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Combine_Top.jpg
    Combine_Top.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3730.jpg
    IMG_3730.jpg
    932.7 KB · Views: 86
There's a standard, of combines and other equipment, can't be higher than 12 foot high, (maybe that's an old standard) the machine shed is maybe 12 foot and 6 inches, so your combine will fit in your shed.

Except the previous owner added a grain tank extension. So my new/used 1660 won't go in my shed.

I want to remove the extension. I've decided I value the ability to put my combine in the shed has more value to me than having more capacity when combining.

Question: How do you remove a grain tank extension? After you remove the bolts, how do you lift it off? No one's front end loader goes 13 foot high.

I'm thinking about: Find a tree branch that's just right, drive under it and use ratchet straps to raise it off. Might still be a project to get it down from the tree.

What do you think? Have you ever used a tree branch to lift something off a trailer, etc?

Thank you!
Is the extension made all in one piece so it can't be taken apart for easier removal?

If so, around here all the BTO's have telehandlers (I'm NOT in that club), any neighbors/friends near you that could make child's play of this job with such apiece of equipment?

It should tear down into individual panels. Take it apart and send it down. Had to do that on 1680 to fit in shed. Left it off. Found the original factory tins that go up there that fold down. Keep in mind shed was 14' clearance.

Thank you!
I've never heard of a 12' rule anywhere. Google says the machine is about 141" if the axle is set low. I'd just unbolt one side at a time and have some help wit setting them off. I can't imagine the thing is one piece. I'd bet its 4 sides bolted together.
AaronSEIA

I think about 13 feet 6 inches when you are all done I think is the standard now. When they are delivered they don’t have tires usually so they fit on the trailer. Most have tip up extensions that looks like a solid one someone built. Homemade job. It looks really solid though! Wouldn’t have to worry about bending it crawling in the tank. Too bad it can’t stay. I’m also betting she’s heavy. Like they said telehandler. You can rent one for not much money for a day around here that might be your cheapest option if you want to save it. If not start cutting. That’s by far the cheapest.

I think your tree branch at the very least you want to invest in a come along that way you could flip the lever and down it goes. You might want to ask your neighbor if he has a better tree that one looks a little light duty for the task at hand

Thank you!
What is the floor of the machine shed, cement or dirt/gravel?? If it is not cement, I would dig 2 trenches about a foot and a half deep for the tires to fit in and back it inside.

Reactions: 504

Thank you!
I think I would try to let air out of the tires to drive it in like somebody said. If you want it off I would take a angle grinder and cut all four corners and take it down one side at a time. We have let out air before to get semis in shops. dropped air bags as well. if you don't want the tires low when in the shed if there is room to reinflate just make sure you tie a big sign on the steering wheel that says let air out first. fairly simple to reinflate tires twice a year. If you park in every night then I would remove it.

Thank you!
I'm thinking, once it's hanging in a tree, then what?

That extension HAS to come apart at the corners. I'm betting it ends up being eight total pieces, sides and corners. If you don't care about putting them back on, heave-ho over the side. Or, just slide them into the fully-raised loader bucket parked next to the machine.

If it absolutely must come off in one piece, how about building a quick-n-dirty boom pole for your loader to extend its reach? At least the extensions won't end up hanging 15' up in a tree.

Thank you!
Yes, I have used a tree branch to remove an aftermarket cab from an Oliver 1750.

I have also used an 8 inch grain auger to lift a new air vent to the top of a grain bin.

Sometimes I pick wild blackberries barefooted. My neighbors think I do risky things.

My neighbors are probably right.

Thank you!
It looks like it is home built all one piece.
So you need 4 things.
1,,tarp
2,,rope
3,,three friends
4,,case of Grain Belt

Clamp tarp to side of combine so not to scratch. Tie three ropes to tank top. Have three guys on end of ropes to let it down. Spend the rest of the day working on the grain belt.

With a loader chain a pole to the bucket and use as a boom or jib to lift it off with. That is what we use to set trusses on buildings with. If the pole is chained to the open side you can set it about straight up to lift with and not get extended to far that way. Then you can let it down with the boom on . Pole only needs to be about 15 foot long to do the job. Loader should go 10 foot.

Thank you!
For starters does it fold up? I have a Mauerer brand extension on my 1660 that folds. Fits in the shed on the farm barely with it folded out but to put away for the season in a different building it gets folded in. 8 nuts and flip the panels in. Otherwise just break it down into pieces. Most likely it went up by hand.

It is likely one piece. I would take it off as well and save your final drives. Overload+ elderly final drives= final drive failure. I would slide it to one side and tilt it down on my loader pallet forks and then strap the high side to the loader and lift it off that way. Most older sheds have 14' doors and most older combines are lower than that so would fit in.

I sent you a thumb drive of a shop manual ,that you asked for on another site several months ago .It would have been nice if you let a person know you got it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back