HTP Mig 2400 Full Review + Torture Test (Video)

Lanse

Goodmorning, everyone!

So, last february I picked up a nice Mig 2400 from HTP America...

And when I got it, I decided that once I'd had a chance to get a feel for it, use it on some projects, and put it through its paces, I'd do a full review of it...

I think its been a GREAT machine, and what do I like about it, you ask?

In no particular order, here are some of the things I like about the unit:

-European-Built
-Excellent Gun, well made, nice feel and long reach
-Ground clamp and lead that compliments the gun in terms of quality and reach
-Industrial Strength "Double-Drive" feeding system
-Trusty HTP Flowmeter
-24 Heat Settings
-Fit-And-Finish of the unit's cabinet and door... Its a little unoriginal (boxy) looking, but made exceptionally well
-Simple Polarity-Changing Setup
-"Weld Time" and "Pause Time" for skip welds, perfectly identical tacks, bad fit up, and good looking welds
-Respectable Duty-Cycle
-Bullet-Proof Transformer Power Source

I've found it to be well made, easy to use, and a great value for what you pay... Its the kind of machine thats "Inexpensive without being cheap", and that will put these guys on the map. I honestly feel like HTP might be the best kept secret in welding, and machines like this are why.

I knew this was a quality welder, but I wanted to find out exactly how much abuse it can take... I'd welded with it last winter at -15 and it never skipped a beat, but exactly how long CAN it weld? I set out to find out...

This machine has a 100% duty cycle at 140 amps, and maxed out, its a respectable 35% at 240 amps... So, I set it to 200 amps and started welding, and welding, and welding... I roasted a 10 pound spool of .035 as fast as possible, putting 112 passes down on 3/4" plate, just to see if it could. The flowmeter got a little frosty, and the gun got a little toasty, but the machine held up just fine. I defiantly give it a thumbs up.

But, unfortunately, nothing's perfect, not even the beastly 2400. Although I don't have any serious complaints about the machine, there are a few things that I don't particularly like, such as:

-Digital Readout that only works while the machine is welding
-Door chart only covers one side of wire, per material thickness. This isn't *that* bad because the voltages are right, its just the WFS that you'll need to adjust yourself
-No Hose Clamp... I'm pretty sure you're supposed to get one, but I had to buy my own... That being said, when the only problem I've had with this machine is having to shell out $0.99 for a piece of hardware, I'm not complaining.

Overall, I feel this is a GREAT machine, and I'm looking forward to using mine well into the future. Well, I hope that about covers it... Enjoy the video, and have a good week everyone
video1
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d3uiQB4emlU?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d3uiQB4emlU?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

watched the whole video,Lanse were you getting a little punchy by the end? what was the total weld time? Bill

I watched your video on wire compairson and ordered the HTP 10 lb spools of 035 fluxcore wire. It was a real good price with free delivery. Just got it yesterday so haven't tried it yet. This video shows me those spools will last me a very long time. I enjoy your videos. Thanks.

Thanks, Bill!!

A weld engineering student I know estimated my WFS and said it was probably between 2-3 arc hours...

I kept at it as continuously as I could... The machine held up well. Glad you like the video! :)

Great Bob, thanks for watching, and enjoy the wire!

I have one of their .035 spools that I've only used a little of, but I really like it so far. Very smooth running and feeds well... Have fun :)

Hi Lanse,

HTP welders used to be the last of the affordable welders with copper wound transformers. You didn't mention that in the list of things you appreciate about this welder; is that because you weren't aware of it, you forgot about it, or it isn't the case anymore?

I haven't watched your video yet. I noticed that it's 36 minutes long. Thanks for summarizing it in print.

Stan

I gotta try watching it again... I got as far as "Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen of youtube!" around 6:30PM, and work called... Then I was up until 3AM on a conference call.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back