I might buy this International 2400A

ster1

Actually, more like trade for it. I have an old Fiat that the guy is interested in. These were apparently good machines, but parts are getting a little scarce to find, and they re spendy as a result. This one has the 4 cyl gasser, non-sleeved, which is a big bummer. I d have to pull the engine to overhaul it. Not crazy about it. Enclosed cab though, so that s a plus. I dunno. Does anybody feel like talking me into or out of this project? I m on the fence. Anybody have anything good or bad to say about the 2400?

mvphoto108083.png

What is the fiat that he is interested in, a car or a tractor? And I know
nothing about either.

That's an industrial loader. Pretty tough compared to a typical
agricultural loader of the same vintage. You're right, some parts are
hard to find.

whether to buy would depend on price. What is on the rear? PTO? 3
point? The tractor is less useful without those.

(quoted from post at 08:31:41 08/02/23) What is the fiat that he is interested in, a car or a tractor? And I know
nothing about either.

Little Fiat Spider 124 from 1980. It was a junkyard restoration project that I essentially got bored with :)

You're "fretting" about overhauling the engine... Does it need it? If not then why worry? Unless you plan on using it for several hours a day continuously it's unlikely you will ever wear out the engine.

I don't know anything about it, haven't even seen it yet. I've been a mechanic for 35 years or so, and in my experience, folks usually don't sell stuff like this if it works well, and the guy says it's been sitting for a few years, so I'm assuing it's shagged. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I had a 2400A Hydro gas. Liked it because it was heavy built solid front axle. The hydro had a miss in reverse but lived with the problem.
Sold to a fellow that was still using it 15 years later. Most of the parts should be the same as 464 or close to it.

If the Fiat is not running, trade soonest. If it just needs a top, or a brake job, trade after thinking about it. If the fiat is a pretty good non rusty car, don't do it. They are fun. Jim

Funny story about the Fiat. I bought it at a sale a few years ago. A family had owned and operated a local Fiat / Lancia shop for years, and the old guy passed away. As can happen in that situation, all his knowledge passed with him, so the family had to step in, and sell off the assets. He had a small yard full of these cars, and that weekend of the sale, you just went there, and picked out the one you wanted, paid $200 and scheduled the pickup. I picked the only one in the yard that had a free turning engine. It was really ready for the crusher. There were parts missing, which is always fun, I had to do the title bond thing to get a title, I overhauled the engine (needed a crankshaft), fixed the electrical, replaced the fuel system, got it to pass emissions, replaced the top, etc etc just to get it drive able. The list of things it needs to be "nice" is quite long, and the rust is extensive. The interior is crap (because the top was open for so long), the brakes and suspension all need to be replaced, the transmission needs 4th gear, on and on the list goes. Anyway, I just ran out of steam for the project, so it's been sitting.

That Jeep you see in the pic is the main reason. That Jeep has a story too. OK, I'll it, why not. When my wife graduated college, she got her first "big girl" job, and her first car, that Jeep. She loved that thing, drove it everywhere. She ran into some financial trouble a few years later and was forced to sell it. She regretted selling. Even brought it up from time to time years later. Decades later actually. We're 50 now. Anyway, I was doing a job for a company and my contact was a guy who's name struck a bell with me. She always talked about the guy she sold it to, hoping he was taking care of the Jeep, and said his name to me a few times. Well, this was the guy! I askes him if he ever bought a jeep from my wife, he said yes that's me. So I asked about the Jeep, and he said it stopped passing emissions, so it sits in his backyard. Well, I couldn't leave that alone, so I brought it home. You should have seen her face when she saw it. She had no idea I was doing this. She told me about every dent, every scratch, every thing about that car. She was happy. So... the Fiat took a back seat :)

mvphoto108137.jpg

Yesterday I was working a job about 30 minutes from the tractor, so I asked the guy if I could stop by, he said I could. So I put an aux dual tank on it, fiddled with the points and used my jump pack and got it running, but the clutch was seized. I guess it had been awhile since it was used. So I jammed the clutch pedal down with a board I had, and tried driving it back and forth, dragging the brakes until the engine stalled, and that didn t work. I didn t see a tree to chain it to, to try to shock it that way, so I chained it to my truck and dragged it. That didn t do it either. So I couldn t get it un-stuck, but I did run. Anyway so I called the guy back and told him all this, and in spite of the clutch, I was still interested. Anyway, after all that, he came by last night and looked at the car and decided he didn t want it. That s how things go sometimes. That tractor needed a ton of work, and was not really worth it anyway. It was more of a toy than anything else. Anyhow, on to the next thing!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back