Industrial 172 vs 192 differences

schmooot

New User
Hoping this is the correct place to ask this question as it is not necessarily tractor but you guys seem to know your stuff.

I've got a hyster forklift with a Ford 192 industrial engine. On propane. Late 1970's. Anyways it's hooped and not a candidate for rebuild. Unless I find a block, crank, cam, pistons, and valvetrain.

In my quest to find a replacement I managed to find a 172 marine engine in my general area and already rebuilt. 1971.
While comparing pictures it appears to be an entirely different family. But now that my search has been fruitless I'm reconsidering this option and wondering if the base blocks are the same and I can attach all my peripherals and output stuff.

I think the biggest non negotiables are whether or not I can use my bell housing and drive setup (for my hydrostatic trans) and of course bolt my hydraulic pump (which is gear driven off the front left side) the marine engine appears to have an entirely different front gear setup (or lack thereof)

I've attached a couple pictures of mine for reference as well as one pic of the 172 (the lighter blue one)

Does anybody have any insight? Is a very long drive to see it so if like to do my homework first

Attachments

• 728786774.jpg
    728786774.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Messenger_creation_7160073031887391042.jpeg
    Messenger_creation_7160073031887391042.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 20240307_112928.jpg
    20240307_112928.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 38
  • 20240307_112935.jpg
    20240307_112935.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 47
Hoping this is the correct place to ask this question as it is not necessarily tractor but you guys seem to know your stuff.

I've got a hyster forklift with a Ford 192 industrial engine. On propane. Late 1970's. Anyways it's hooped and not a candidate for rebuild. Unless I find a block, crank, cam, pistons, and valvetrain.

In my quest to find a replacement I managed to find a 172 marine engine in my general area and already rebuilt. 1971.
While comparing pictures it appears to be an entirely different family. But now that my search has been fruitless I'm reconsidering this option and wondering if the base blocks are the same and I can attach all my peripherals and output stuff.

I think the biggest non negotiables are whether or not I can use my bell housing and drive setup (for my hydrostatic trans) and of course bolt my hydraulic pump (which is gear driven off the front left side) the marine engine appears to have an entirely different front gear setup (or lack thereof)

I've attached a couple pictures of mine for reference as well as one pic of the 172 (the lighter blue one)

Does anybody have any insight? Is a very long drive to see it so if like to do my homework first
Twenty fewer cubic inches but bolts right in and accessories will bolt up.

Industrial engines have provision for mechanical, cam-driven fuel pumps while gravity flow tractor engines do not. Not sure about your marine engine.

Be advised that NG and propane engines have about 1.5:1 higher CR due to different cylinder heads. Operating a gasoline engine on LP or NG will result in less HP unless you use the appropriate cylinder head.

Twenty fewer cubic inches but bolts right in and accessories will bolt up.

Industrial engines have provision for mechanical, cam-driven fuel pumps while gravity flow tractor engines do not. Not sure about your marine engine.

Be advised that NG and propane engines have about 1.5:1 higher CR due to different cylinder heads. Operating a gasoline engine on LP or NG will result in less HP unless you use the appropriate cylinder head.
My head is still good.... that's about the only thing that was salvageable

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back