International 140 governor adjustment

oneofeach

It runs fine but is not real responsive to throttle changes. In top of the governor there is a 3/8 bolt with a lock nut as if it would be and adjustment. Its my first little red tractor and I dont have a shop manual yet. I am wondering if anyone can tell me about this bolt or how to properly adjust the gov to carb rod?

That bolt is the limit stop for the throttle. To adjust the governor, unhook the rod that hooks to the carb. Put your throttle control to full throttle. Hold butterfly to wide open and adjust that rod so the pin will go in the clevis on the rod freely and no binding. So when throttle handle is wide open and carburetor is wide open that pin should be free. This is with engine shut off. Alot of older tractors, that governor shaft going into the housing will have lots of slop and that should be fixed. New shaft and bushing made to repair housing. There is also a internal three piece bearing may be bad.

YES BACK IT OFF FOR MORE RPMs just let the linkage to the carb alone it works now and doesent get out of adjustment by setting there it has nothing to do with the gov It does make sure the linkage is correct for throttleroperation but more speed is from that screw on the top back it off to see if you get more RPMs

Suggestion go along with other advice comments

Ive found some of the throttle lack of response is do to governor control rod has loss motion as it moves on a Farmall c . Supported clips are missing or broken, springs equalizers reversed ,broken , weak ,, bare checking for improved performance.

I strive for the control lever to gradually increase the rpms from low idle of 500 rpm to 1815 rpm at high idle on the c. Tip ,used a timing light with tach to observe the change in rpm as control lever is advanced.
Lets us know how you make out with this project.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back