JD 1520 independent

DURTFANN

New User
JD 1520 independent PTO question ? ( lever between shifters ) when the lever is in the on position the tractor works as it should, when you move it to the off position within in two minutes depending on how much you steer the tractor it loses power assist to th steering & hydraulic pressure to raise the 3 point hitch , I know they share a hydraulic pump just wandering has anyone run into this issue & what the fix , thanks

JD 1520 independent PTO question ? ( lever between shifters ) when the lever is in the on position the tractor works as it should, when you move it to the off position within in two minutes depending on how much you steer the tractor it loses power assist to th steering & hydraulic pressure to raise the 3 point hitch , I know they share a hydraulic pump just wandering has anyone run into this issue & what the fix , thanks
Is this a tractor you have owned, run for a while, and this just started? Or is it a new tractor to you that you recently acquired, and it came with this issue?

When was the transmission sump screen last cleaned and transmission filter last changed? What are you running for transmission/hydraulic fluid?

As one guess. When you turn the PTO off it is supposed to apply the PTO brake. It would sound like there might be an issue in the brake system. that could be anywhere between the control valve and the brake piston. Do you have to run with the PTO engaged all the time to have all functions? If you start the tractor with the PTO disengaged, do the other functions work until the PTO is turned on and back off.

In any case, the technical manual (JD publication TM1012) and some diagnostic work might pinpoint the problem.

It's one my next door neighbor brought to me to do a few things to , he's just always run it as long as he's had it with the PTO ( independent) engaged , when I turned it off is when I I noticed it and informed him and he as me to look into fixing it if the cost wasn't outrageous ( splitting the tractor) I was kinda leaning towards thinking it was something in the brake activation ( hydraulic piston or oring ) internally for that PTO system, I do have a parts breakdown & a basic after market service book ( kinda half baked) he has changed the hyd oil & filter with all deere parts , he's reel particular about OEM stuff right down to fluids, pretty nice little tractor though 71 model with only 526hrs on it , other than weather wear & tear straight as a arrow

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back