Kubota M6060 freeze plug heater installation

Keith Molden

I'm thinking about finally putting a freeze plug heater on my Kubota M6060. I figure it would be best to place it on the left side but I don't know which type to buy. Should the loop be straight or curved? The ones listed for most Kubota is driven in someplace but I really am not sure just where (thinking in a freeze plug hole. I'm not too fond of driving something into the side of a cast engine. Keith

I have the same tractor 2018 model 500 hours this will be the third winter I've had it and I've never had a problem starting it I started as cold as -20 degrees to grind feed in the winter just turn the key on when the light goes out it's always started right up heater usually throws out heat pretty quick to myself I wouldn't want to mess with taking the chance of a leaky heater on the side of the block. That's only my opinion with really doesn't mean much just saying. Although I'm sure it is easier on everything if the block can be warmed up prior to starting in the really cold weather. I have put heaters on my other kubota's but don't really need or use them much

(quoted from post at 13:33:15 11/24/21) I'm thinking about finally putting a freeze plug heater on my Kubota M6060. I figure it would be best to place it on the left side but I don't know which type to buy. Should the loop be straight or curved? The ones listed for most Kubota is driven in someplace but I really am not sure just where (thinking in a freeze plug hole. I'm not too fond of driving something into the side of a cast engine. Keith

Get one from Kubota and you'll have the OEM one. Think they were standard on Canadian tractors, have one on an M7040SU, factory heater.

(quoted from post at 20:29:59 11/24/21)
Slap on a magnetic heater.
No mess, no fuss, no chance of leaks, portable to use on other machines.

............. and nowhere near the heat output or efficiency of the correct block heater.

(quoted from post at 21:45:41 11/24/21)
(quoted from post at 20:29:59 11/24/21)
Slap on a magnetic heater.
No mess, no fuss, no chance of leaks, portable to use on other machines.

............. and nowhere near the heat output or efficiency of the correct block heater.

First choice would be a kats circulating rad water heater, lower hose or heater hose. Second choice the magnet type.
Before I would disturb a core plug (which they really are).

Kats shows the 'freeze plug' block heater as having 3/4 inch pipe thread and in the front of engine. For M series kubota (a #11409-99) so maybe it just screws into a threaded port in the water jacket vs an actual unthreaded core plug hole?

I have a dealer installed block heater on our JD 4600, and I put a magnetic heater on the oil pan too, it starts like summer anytime. I run 15-40 oil year around, I think it's much easier on an engine to preheat, it would probably start at -20 without heat, but I don't intent to try it. The last battery in it lasted over 12 years.

When it gets below about 20 I'm pretty religious about plugging things in I want to start in advance. I never thought much of a magnetic heater setting on the outside of an engine hoping it would really heat much like those dipstick oil heaters. The oil will warm up when it runs down over a heated engine about as fast as heating it with dipstick heaters.

Just a note. I don't have any problem with starting but I only feed 1 round bale once a week to 2 horses and when it's cold the windows don' clear up till I'm on the way back to the equipment shed and I'd like to have a little heat when I start it up to feed and maybe plow some snow plus the fact that I personally think it's better on the tractor if the engine is kept warm. Keith

On my F2000, I plumbed a thank heater into the 3/4 line going to the cab heater. To make mine more efficient, I made up a 3 valve manifold (ball valves) and installed it so I can bypass the cab heater and circulate the water through the engine via the upper and lower heater hoses. Before I start, I close the bypass and have instant heat. Mine is just a small compact, but I've found covering the engine compartment with and old quilt really helps retain the temp. to the point that leaving it plugged in 24/7 doesn't cost much. Because I only use this and my JD 1145 (came with a freeze plug heater) for snow in the winter, a few years ago, I put both on smart plugs I can turn on from my phone. Prior to the smart plug, I left them on all the time. I will try posting a pic. of the manifold later.
cvphoto108992.jpg

cvphoto108993.jpg

cvphoto108995.jpg

(quoted from post at 07:19:05 11/25/21) Just a note. I don't have any problem with starting but I only feed 1 round bale once a week to 2 horses and when it's cold the windows don' clear up till I'm on the way back to the equipment shed and I'd like to have a little heat when I start it up to feed and maybe plow some snow plus the fact that I personally think it's better on the tractor if the engine is kept warm. Keith

No question it is easier starting and better for it in the long run when the engine has some heat in it before hand.

As far as windows not clearing when it gets down around -40 I have the same problems.

I often run an in car heater or even a hair dryer inside the cab for 10-15 minutes while the tractor is warming up.

It makes a big difference.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back