Looking at buying a 40C John Deere

NoDakInMN

I came across a 40 C John Deere in my travels, It has sat for about 10 years outside because the owner died and the heirs really had no idea about how to use it or why. It does not have blade, but has jury rigged a 3 point brush cutter on the back. From what I can tell, the under carriage is in fair shape, the drive sprocket appears to have very little wear as do the track rollers, although I may be misinformed on how to judge the rollers. So my questions are these, first, is there a gauge to determine roller wear on this undercarriage like there is for a Cat and where would I obtain one? How do I determine track wear? How easy is it to obtain a blade for this? I am located in west central MN and what would that cost? I'm not too concerned about the engine and drive train, as that is holds no surprises for me as it is like a 40 wheel tractor, but the steering clutches are new territory for me. The owner would just like it gone, so I could negotiate a fairly good deal. Given all the unknowns, possibly stuck motor, steering clutches and who knows what else, would I be out of line offering $500?

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

I came across a 40 C John Deere in my travels, It has sat for about 10 years outside because the owner died and the heirs really had no idea about how to use it or why. It does not have blade, but has jury rigged a 3 point brush cutter on the back. From what I can tell, the under carriage is in fair shape, the drive sprocket appears to have very little wear as do the track rollers, although I may be misinformed on how to judge the rollers. So my questions are these, first, is there a gauge to determine roller wear on this undercarriage like there is for a Cat and where would I obtain one? How do I determine track wear? How easy is it to obtain a blade for this? I am located in west central MN and what would that cost? I'm not too concerned about the engine and drive train, as that is holds no surprises for me as it is like a 40 wheel tractor, but the steering clutches are new territory for me. The owner would just like it gone, so I could negotiate a fairly good deal. Given all the unknowns, possibly stuck motor, steering clutches and who knows what else, would I be out of line offering $500?

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.
They did make a gauge to check undercarriage, JD267. Once and a great while one turns up for sale--good luck finding one. JD now has a kit for undercarriage inspection however I can't say it covers those old tracks that are NLA. Internal wear is an important measurement. I have attached a chart from the old Crawler Heaven website (no longer exists) that has the official internal wear limits, no info on rail height. Do you know how to measure internal wear? (The track needs to be stretched tight to check which will be a problem on a non-running machine.) I also attached an IH document that has good info on evaluating undercarriage, in case you don't. Roller, idler, and bushing dimensions should be in the manual.

Those tracks are NLA. Common replacement is to use 350 tracks and undercarriage components (could be a 5K project). 350 sprocket rims have to be fitted and welded to the original 40C sprockets. Lavoy Wilcox (jdcrawlers.com) has had track pins and bushings made at times in the past, you would need to contact him to see if a set is available and how high the rail height needs to be to make it worth installing them. He will also be a very good source for steering clutch parts as his business specializes in those crawlers. He may have a line on a blade(s).

I would say your thoughts on an offer would be generous.

Attachments

• Crawler Heaven track limits.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 22
  • undrcarguide.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
They did make a gauge to check undercarriage, JD267. Once and a great while one turns up for sale--good luck finding one. JD now has a kit for undercarriage inspection however I can't say it covers those old tracks that are NLA. Internal wear is an important measurement. I have attached a chart from the old Crawler Heaven website (no longer exists) that has the official internal wear limits, no info on rail height. Do you know how to measure internal wear? (The track needs to be stretched tight to check which will be a problem on a non-running machine.) I also attached an IH document that has good info on evaluating undercarriage, in case you don't. Roller, idler, and bushing dimensions should be in the manual.

Those tracks are NLA. Common replacement is to use 350 tracks and undercarriage components (could be a 5K project). 350 sprocket rims have to be fitted and welded to the original 40C sprockets. Lavoy Wilcox (jdcrawlers.com) has had track pins and bushings made at times in the past, you would need to contact him to see if a set is available and how high the rail height needs to be to make it worth installing them. He will also be a very good source for steering clutch parts as his business specializes in those crawlers. He may have a line on a blade(s).

I would say your thoughts on an offer would be generous.
Great information! Thanks!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back