MF single furrow plow adjustment

Hi folks,

I have a MF 245 tractor and a MF 62 plow. I can't get the plow tip far enough to the right.... so the plow doesn't flip all the sod over - it flips a foot-wide piece and leaves about 6 or 8 inches of sod right side up and buries that with the part it flips. That's not the way its supposed to be.

I have loosened the U-bolts and nudged the plow as far to the right as I can on the cross-bar. I thought about spinning the cross-bar, but I don't see that giving me the distance I need.

You'll see I have the plow chained over - the tractor uses stabilizing bars and the plow has short pins which won't fit the bars. As far as I can get it, the lift arms are pretty well centred on the tractor, which is as it should be, I suppose.

And you'll also see that the top-link is kicked way over already - it is binding, as far as I can tell, so it won't let the whole plow swing further over towards the right.

On a 2 bottom plow I have, the first plow-tip is not centred between the triangle for the top link, as it is on this plow. Rather the plow tip is at the edge of that triangle, setting it much closer to the right wheel.

Any suggestions? The MF 245 is not a particularly large tractor. Only 45 HP. The outside to outside spread of the rear tires is only 6 feet.

Thanks,
Eric
mvphoto108233.jpg

mvphoto108236.jpg

It is not the plow that is the problem ,it is the tractor you need the right tire set in more to fit the plow. At 36 inch rows or your 6 feet you would need an 18 inch bottom or more to work well. You I believe be set so the tire is against the land side of the furrow when the plow bottom is running right in line with the front tip just inside the land of the next furrow. there will be more folks than can explain it better than I since I have never had to set an anchor plow before. Always plowed with trailer plows and they have some forgiveness to the setting there for them.

As said,your problem is that your tires are set too wide for that plow.Narrow your wheels. My 8N with one bottom has the wheel tread set at 48,center to center. Your tractor will be similar. You can get by with
just moveing the right side wheels.However,your tractor may only be able to set to 56 or 60 c/c.

The plow lower arm shaft needs turned 180 degrees too. The RIGHT pin/arm should be lower and the LEFT pin arm should be higher so plow can be set level with the right
rear wheel in the furrow.

Somehow you got to get that plow to only take a 14 inch cut. As mentioned the lower arm is 180 degrees off. By turning that correct you will be tipping the share point closer to the
furrow but I don't think it will be enough. That will also get the top link better in line. Do that first then move tractor wheel in so you are taking 14 inches. 45 hp. Should handle 2
to 3 bottom mounted plow with that loader weight on it.

Thank you all for responding so quickly, and with such good information.

Turning the lower arm shaft 180 degrees: good info. I will do that. Dieseltech, I remember you helping me with my injection pump. The pump is still working perfectly. Thanks for that, too.

Moving the right wheel: Sadly, it is already set as far in as it will go. There are only 2" between the wheel and the fender. The left wheel is further out, but that is irrelevant in this case.

Centre to centre width: the right wheel centre is about 28 inches from the centreline of the tractor... thus 56" is the minimum tire centre to centre distance. I remember plowing 30 years ago with an 8N, too... and it worked just right with a one bottom plow.

Two bottom plow: I happen to have one, and I am coming to the conclusion that a MF 245 is set up to operate a 2 or 3 bottom plow, not a one bottom plow. I wonder if you all agree with that?

Coulters: the problem with my 2 bottom plow is that it doesn't have coulters. It has the vertical posts for them, but is missing the disc/bearing assemblies. I am plowing sod, so I would like to have coulters. Thus, any ideas where to get decent used coulters in Ontario, Canada? Or how to plow sod without them?

Thanks again.....
Eric

mvphoto108246.jpg

I hope you got your solenoid issue sorted out:) I've plowed more acres than I care to remember with a 245 and two bottom plow, never a problem, 2 14's all the time. The right wheel was set so that if your put your hand on the right clam shell fender it would get hit by the tire lug if you extended your fingers. I see you have the square style fender so maybe not able to get in that close though you should be able to. A pic of the right wheel may show something not entirely obvious, for example you may need to move the wheel clamp. I think a two bottom would work better, I never liked a one bottom plow. I've plowed sod without coulters, not the best deal but it can work.

Can you move the fender in? Plowing sod without coulters is no big deal. You will have to run the disk across it a couple times next spring anyway. No, you will not win any prizes for
plowing but who cares. Its not a competition.

Just plow like you normally do just don't worry about what it loos like though I doubt you will see much difference with or without coulters. I've plowed more dirt without coulters than I ever have with them. Corn stalks will plug worse with them than without them. You could also just run a disc over it a couple times if you are that worried about the sod not flopping over good when you plow it. It will separate at the disc cuts not necessarily at the location of the bottom cut. It will help with not being a wads and gobs mess from no coulters on it though. I have done that with sod before chisel plowing it to help with that problem.

Thanks again for the quick replies.

MF#1: yes, I got the solenoid issue fixed, thank you very much indeed... I posted an explanation and a detailed thank you on that thread - so I won't go into it here.

Thanks to all for the encouragement to plow without coulters. I like to do things neat and precisely, but its important to know when this is not essential.

To explain, I am more familiar with hay-making equipment than tillage equipment. Thus I appreciate your experience. I have always known there is more to setting up plows than meets the eye...and now I am learning about it firsthand.

Fenders: no, they can't be moved in and out; just up and down.

Wheels: they are as far in as they can go unless I spin the tire around and have the lugs pointing the wrong way... but I can only gain a max of 2" that way, and that won't solve my problem anyhow.

Single bottom plow: It looks like the single bottom plow has a 16" bottom. Pic attached. Is that right?

2 bottom plow: I was looking at it and see that the bottoms are narrow. Pics attached. Does this mean I am not going to be able to use this plow either? (this plow was given to me) (the one bottom plow is my neighbour's)

Disc plow: I was also given a disc plow. It's heavy, but still I imagine it's not so good for sod. Am I right about that? pic attached.

Thanks again

Eric

Pics order: 2 furrow plow with narrow bottoms, disc plow, 16" bottom of single furrow plow.

mvphoto108265.jpg

mvphoto108267.jpg

mvphoto108268.jpg

Wheels: they are as far in as they can go unless I spin the tire around and have the lugs pointing the wrong way... but I can only gain a max of 2" that way, and that won't solve my problem anyhow.
A part of the total range of track width adjustment is reversing the wheels and swapping the wheel/rims side to side so that direction is maintained.

Yep, I'm a day late and a dollar short sometimes;-) Glad you got it going and thanks for posting back. If you can't get the single bottom to plow like you want then you don't have much to lose by trying the two bottom. Have to say that I've never seen one like that around here but it would be worth a try, it would probably pull better than the single bottom. Good Luck, you'll get it!

What is the distance between the inside edge of the back tire and allso the distance
center to center of tire. They look like too wide a tire to ever work with any plow.
And the 2 bottom looks like an old Ferguson plow that you set the cross bar acording
to book and frame size and then only twist that bar to get final adjustments in place.
And that plow frame was not made for those narrow Scotch bottoms to work on it. They
are as I understand only a 10 inch furrow cut bottom and that plow is made for
depending on size of some parts a 12 inch or 14inch bottom.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back