My new to me 300 U

Shelbygt

A little history here. In 1975 my dad bought an H for an acreage of ours. Engine was tired so we split it in half to rebuild the engine. I was 12 years old. We rebuilt the engine in the living room. We’ve used her for countless projects over the past nearly 50 years.
25 years ago I began building a house and purchased a Farmall 300 row crop with narrow front. I rebuilt the bolster, new brakes, tires, and fixed hydraulic issues. When the house and grading/landscaping was done I sold it like an idiot. Fast forward to now. There are a bunch of projects I have lined up and my thinking was a Utility with a wide front and power steering. This one is a keeper for as long as I’m around.
I guess what I’m thinking is a mechanical restoration. I love the patina. In fact, my plan is to preserve its look. I’m not seeing evidence of it going under a spray gun or a brush. Fast hitch, PTO, Torque Amplifier all work. 12v conversion. Starts, runs, drives great! Not sure to make of wheels. No idea what fronts are off of.

Attachments

• IMG_1568.jpeg
    IMG_1568.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1567.jpeg
    IMG_1567.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1565.jpeg
    IMG_1565.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1566.jpeg
    IMG_1566.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1569.jpeg
    IMG_1569.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1570.jpeg
    IMG_1570.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1572.jpeg
    IMG_1572.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 36
Maintain the 90 wt gear oil in the gear part of the steering box. Lubricate the axle uprights and the thrust bearing in their bottom. Move while turning the steering wheel. Use Hytran. It will serve well. Jim 350U owner.

Maintain the 90 wt gear oil in the gear part of the steering box. Lubricate the axle uprights and the thrust bearing in their bottom. Move while turning the steering wheel. Use Hytran. It will serve well. Jim 350U owner.
The gear part is down below that steering arms attach to?
Rear axle uprights and trust bearing? Not sure what you’re referring to.
Hytran for all hydraulics? Do I put hytran in pump driven by engine, or just the box under the seat?

The gear part is down below that steering arms attach to?
Rear axle uprights and trust bearing? Not sure what you’re referring to.
Hytran for all hydraulics? Do I put hytran in pump driven by engine, or just the box under the seat?
The Steering box has 3 "chambers" two are filled with Hytran as a result of the steering pressure from the Regulator and Safety valve located as a inner segment of the hitch control valve (right rear of seat) this valve has a priority function that diverts pressure to the steering when running. The two filled chambers are the flow control just under the dash panel, and the cylinder that push/pulls the gears in the box. The gears are in the third chamber where the arm shafts stick out on each side.
The uprights are on the front axle. They have grease fittings on them, but the ball thrust bearing that bears the weight of the front of the tractor often fails to get satisfactory grease. Probably could be assisted toward good lube by the axle being lifted off the ground and then greased well and turned back and forth 20 times while the bearing has no weight on it.
The TA operates with Hytran supplied by a trough from the transmission. The TA sprag clutch needs thin Hytran to operate well. Thus the entire rear section of the tractor is filled to the check plug (Left side under the foot plate) with Hytran fluid. The hydraulic system is a seperate entity on this model and the 3XX and 4XX models. On yours the reservoir is under the seat, and the breather as well as Plug/dipstick is also there. Seat lifting is needed for that. This site sells manuals, both repair and owners. The Caseih.com web site has some parts diagrams (search for Model, then type in 300 Utility tractor). Messicks.com Also has some better more inclusive parts diagrams with part numbers that can assist in finding parts. Welcome, and best of luck. Jim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back