Need Some Help!!!!

Anonymous-0

My 9n (front mount distributor) with an 8n motor will run for about 30 minutes and then die. After it cools it will start again. I have to jump it to start it because the battery is now dead. It will not recharge the battery. This follows the solution of my power problem (plug wires 3 and 4 were wrong, now this. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ron11

More than likely your coil is going out. Pretty common symptom. As far as not charging, depends on if its original 6V or not. If its all original like mine, the genny struggles to keep mine charged on a good day. They only put out 11 amps at most. Get us more info on the charging system.

Ron.........runnin' fer about 30-mins is almost ALWAYS yer weaksister ignition switch. $10 (cheap)

The internal contacts gitt gunked-up and heat-up and cause weak sparkies. Takes about 1-hr to cool down enuff so you can re-start and run fer few minutes before barfin' the sparkies again.

It usually takes yer squarecan ignition coil about 1-hr to overheat. NOT yer reported problem.

Iff'n yer battery is truely dead, only cure is 12-hrs of 4-amp trickle charge.

Howsomevers, semi-dead batterys will semi-come'ta'life after overnite rest. Might be enuff to re-start yer tractor in morning. But you have other issues that need resolving. Like why ain't it charging in first place???.......Dell, yer self-appointed sparkie-meister

Ron

I would hot wire the ignition switch for dignosis purposes instead of throwing another part at it.

When was the last time the wiring harness and ignition switch were replaced?

When you have this many electrical gremlins it is a good bet that your tractor is way behind on the 6-volt maintenance. Every terminal needs to be taken apart and made clean and shiny. Both of my tractors were so bad when I got them it was easier to simply start over with a new harness. That saved me from having to chase down the problems one at a time.

It's also a good idea to use new zinc-plated nuts and washers on every terminal. The new hardware will temporarily rust-proof the connections so they will stay clean longer than simply shining up the existing hardware.

Some preventative maintenance work up-front when you have the time will save hours of frustration later when you are trying to get some real work out of your tractor.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back