new baler chain

On a 14T, main feeder chain. Old one is very very stretched and wants to skip sprocket teeth. Got a new one. Guy at tractor store made it to the manual's specs and I also counted the links to be sure it is 66 links. Moved the idler sprocket out of the way and the two ends left for the chain to sit on are the big sprockets around shafts and unmovable as far as creating give for the chain. It is too short!!! Tried for EVER and I got it so it is down to one link short, and then though,, that idler sprocket wouldn't be able to be used, or else it would be back to being 2 links short at the least. Is there a way to gently stretch a new chain? What's going on here? If I had a couple links added, that would throw off timing, right?

How are you counting the links?

Count every individual ROLLER and subtract one (the first roller doesn't count), and you will always have an "odd" number.

DEERE specified 65 links plus a standard #50 connector link, so you should have a total of 66 ROLLERS, or 65 LINKS.

I have owned several 14T's and 24T's and worked on quite a few more, and I don't recall EVER having an issue with replacing any of the chains going by what the parts catalog shows.

The guy who cut the chain for me at the JD store, said something about 64 1/2. He put a half linkI think he called it on at the counter and secured with a tiny cotter pin, plus the master link. I was confused what he was doing but trusted he knew how to do this since he works there and must do this all the time. At home, after it didn't fit on, I counted the straight outside link parts and came up with 65 plus that master link that snaps on, =66? I can go out and count the rollers.

There are a total of 65 rollers, so if you don't count the first one then there are 64. Doesn't sound right, does it?

(quoted from post at 10:05:46 07/26/19) There are a total of 65 rollers, so if you don't count the first one then there are 64. Doesn't sound right, does it?

Some partsmen sure have a tough time following what the parts catalog specifies when dealing with roller chain.

He must have cut the chain to 64 rollers/63 links, then added a half-link.

You can remove the "half-link", and add a "roller link" and a connector, and it will be correct.

7PbfOzI.jpg

Roller link

Thanks, bob. Hopefully a store closer to me will have chain parts. Wait, that needs to be connected with a special tool right? Hopefully I can get it fixed up lacally. Don't want to make the longer trip back to the store where it came from and argue about it. My intuition told me that chain wasn't correct but kept telling myself he must know what he's doing. I did start questioning what he was doing and got the old "don't argue with me little girl" look and so figured it best to leave the subject alone and take what I was given!

(quoted from post at 10:25:58 07/26/19) Thanks, bob. Hopefully a store closer to me will have chain parts. Wait, that needs to be connected with a special tool right? Hopefully I can get it fixed up lacally. Don't want to make the longer trip back to the store where it came from and argue about it. My intuition told me that chain wasn't correct but kept telling myself he must know what he's doing. I did start questioning what he was doing and got the old "don't argue with me little girl" look and so figured it best to leave the subject alone and take what I was given!

All you need is the "roller link" which I previously posted a photo of, and two "connector links". You would have needed one anyway to connect the chain, had it been correct. No special tools are needed for the connector links.

The "roller link" can be cut from a short, odd-length piece of chain "remnant".

6fObnC7.jpg

I just sent an email to the far away store, telling them I was given the wrong length chain. We'll see what, if any, response I get. I think they should mail me the correct one. I'm not driving down there again. Probably will just have to fix the one I was given.

Made myself the correct chain and re-timed machine. Got off a regular roller piece off the old stretched chain and had two connectors to use. Didn't hear back from store.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back